PDA

View Full Version : Winny 44-40 Bolt Face

missionary5155
03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Good morning
The Bolt Face on my SRC 1892 (!907 Vintage) is badly pitted and the firing pin hole rather enlarged. Bolt face permits primer to back out and "Flow" into the enlarged firing Pin hole.
#1 Should I bush the fring pin hole and mig weld the bolt face ?
#2 Just leave it alone and shoot it as it is. It is structurally safe with my load of 8-9 grains Unique but does leave a bit of primer shaving on the bolt area.

TxBaylea
03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
If I were you I would think seriously about bushing the firing hole. I am not sure about whether it is necessary to clean up the bolt face however. I remember back in the 60's Winchester had Model 65 218 Bee barrels available and people were buying those to put in 25-20 and 32-20 92's. They were bushing the firing pin holes in the bolt, turning down the firing pins and fitting them with closer tolerances, matching the model 65's, because of primer extrusion problems.

Good Luck

Vernon

yarro
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Pits are probably OK as long as they aren't so large that they leave obvious signs on the casehead. The enlarged firing pin hole is a safety issue. Get it bushed by a good Winchester smith.

-yarro

missionary5155
03-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Good morning
Thanks Texbaylea & Yarro... That was my thinking but I figured it is aleays best to ask first.
As there are no Winny Smiths about I will do my next best option and do it myself. While at it I will narrow the NEW Hole and use my 308 as the diameter guide.
While I have the bolt head warm I might as well solder the pits. Dump it all into motor oil ASAP. THANKS !

dubber123
03-26-2009, 10:22 AM
For what it's worth, my brother and I welded, (Mig), an off center firing pin hole in the bolt face of his Vetterli. Filed flat and re-drilled. It has been shot quite a bit since. Keep in mind gun steel isn't very hard, so I wouldn't go out of my way to try and temper it.