PDA

View Full Version : Need help bad!!

casey
03-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Tonight i Took the grip frame off my Ruger bisley. Tried to follow owners man. but i did something wrong and cant seem to fix it. Put all the pieces back together but loading gate wont open and gun doesnt want to cock correctly,if i cock it very slowly it will work. Does any body know what i did or didnt do? Thanks to any and all that can help!

carpetman
03-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Well if it works if you cock it slowly and you want to know what you did or didn't do---I'd say you cocked it fast--just a wild guess. How to fix is beyond me.

Buckshot
03-24-2009, 03:30 AM
...............Hey Casey, welcome to the board! I'm not much of a pistol guy so I can't help with the problem. You might also ask on the handgun forum as I know there are a couple pretty knowledgeable Ruger SA guys there.

..............Buckshot

Heavy lead
03-24-2009, 03:39 AM
When you replaced the grip frame the loading gate was not properly located on the loading gate spring. Kind of complicated to explain without showing you, but I've done it before. The Brownells websight has a schematic of this that will show the proper alignment, most of it is feel and experience, getting the alignment correct along with the pawl spring/plunger all correctly is the toughest thing about getting the Ruger single actions back together correctly. Just be patient, you didn't ruin anything, just take it all apart and really look closely at everything and try it again.

casey
03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replys. I got it right this morning. Didnt have the trigger spring under the trigger the right way. Should have noticed last night, must have been really tired.

ddeaton
03-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replys. I got it right this morning. Didnt have the trigger spring under the trigger the right way. Should have noticed last night, must have been really tired.

Casey, Im a little late on this, but had the same thing happen to me. Only got mine back from a gunsmith giving it a trigger job. My gate spring was not in right and wouldnt kick the cylinder lever down to rotate. Not good when you cannot rotate the cylinder to unload. I took it down to nothing and payed close attention when putting that spring back in. Since then I have ordered a gate spring clamp from Brownell's just for the Rugers. Makes it a snap when installing the pin through the spring. Now you have to practice tearing down and reassembling blindfolded. :kidding: