PDA

View Full Version : Just cast my first

robroy
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I just cast my first boolits ever, out of WW from a RanchDog 359190 mold. Random boolits measure 0.3575" on average. Where'd that other 0.002" go?:(

leadman
03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
You will find that most molds cast different sizes with different lead alloys. The number of the mold is pretty much just a guideline. Manufacturing tolerances also vary with Lee allowing .003" variance.
If you slug the bore of the gun you will be using these boolits in you will know what size you need. If it is a revolver you should also measure the throats of all the chambers of the cylinders. If you are lucky the largest throat will be the same or slightly larger than the barrel.
Size the bolit to this size or .001" larger and you should be good to go.
If .3575" is too small, add some tin or linotype to your WW a little at a time to increase the size of the boolits.
If this won't increase the size enough read the sticky on "lementing " a mold. This will increase the size of the cavities some also.
Good luck, have fun and keep us posted on your progress. there is an abundance of useful information on this site and folks to help you out.

rebliss
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Congratulations on your first run. You've embarked on a hobby that could conceivably consume you. At the very least, it will save you some money! Welcome!

44man
03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Let the boolits sit a few days to a week before measuring. It is wrong to measure right out of the mold. Boolits from WW will expand some.

Dennis Eugene
03-23-2009, 09:44 PM
Save ya some money? yeah right ;>) Dennis

waksupi
03-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah, let me know how that saving money thing works out for you! Brahahahahahahaaaa!

Calamity Jake
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Sure your saving money!!!! Just think how much you would be spending on factory ammo :shock:

dubber123
03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Re-clean the mould WELL, I use an old toothbrush, some dish soap, and a sprinkle of a cleanser like Bon Ami, or Comet. Rinse/scrub well in HOT water. Crank up the heat in your pot. Being your first casting session, you might not have been casting fast enough/hot enough.

Even slightly cool moulds won't fill out, and will throw small boolits. RD goes to great lengths to have moulds made that are big enough for Marlin lever guns. I doubt he would sell a mould that wouldn't make at least .358".

robroy
03-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and info folks. Waksupi, I have an aunt and uncle that live around Kalispell. Beautiful country.

snaggdit
03-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm still waiting for that money saving thing, too. Too much equipment that I HAVE to have to do this right! I should of stayed happy with the RCBS single and store bullets... NOT!

Dennis Eugene
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
money comes and money goes but castin' is the gift that keeps on givin' Dennis