PDA

View Full Version : Ship Brass to Canada ??

OldBob
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Anyone know if it is legal to ship empty brass to Canada from the US, and do you need 13 forms filled out in triplicate to do it ? I have a friend who would like some 40 S & W brass that I have, but I don't want to get either of our butts in a sling.

Red River Rick
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
No, it's not legal anymore, and not worth the hassle to ship brass from the US to Canada.

Not that it's illegal for us to import, it's illegal for you to ship here without all the proper paperwork. Chances are Canada Customs won't care, but US customs may get on your case, literally.

RRR

OldBob
03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks Rick, that is about what I was afraid of. d*** goobermint anyhow!

quasi
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
From the Canadian legal perspective, it is legal for brass and other components to be shipped here from the US or any other country. A Canadian can also import a maximum of 5000 rds of loaded ammo at a time without permit.

Virtually all US based exporting is now under the control of US Homeland security. If you want to export anything, you need an export liscence from Homeland Security, sometimes other US Government departments such as the ATF, the State Department, the Commerce Secretary .... You also need end user certificates from the foreign customer you are selling to.

WKAYE
03-24-2009, 08:39 PM
It should also be noted that reloading tools, dies, and bullet moulds are exempt and can be shipped. :drinks:

Red River Rick
03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
A Canadian can also import a maximum of 5000 rds of loaded ammo at a time without permit.

Quasi:

It might be in your best interest to check your source of information. Legally, if you go to the US and buy loaded ammo and or brass, you cannot bring it back to Canada without an export permit.

If you get stopped before you get back into Canada, you could get charged.

RRR

quasi
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
It is legal for me to do from a Canadian law perspective. Under US law, I can't buy or be in possestion of 1 round,never mind exporting it.

mr mom
03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
i have sent brass to canada ... the guy i sent it to said when i declared it to put used brass, mark it as a gift and say the cost was 5.00 and there was no problem ....

kodiak1
03-26-2009, 08:50 PM
There was a time and it may still be in effect that if it is boughten brass and under $100.00 in value it would be allowed. About three months ago the BATF tightened up all of their laws then the Homeland Security people felt that they couldn't be out done so they tightend up the laws that they control.
I have bought brass from Buffalo Arms no problem.
Bullets No Way in Heck was told that as soon as I ordered.
Scopes nope forget that one also they are a no no.

My input on this is try it if it gets through you are lucky I guess (Canadian Point of View)
If I was an American and could possibly shake time over mailing brass out of my own country I think I would take the Not a chance approach.

What are our two Great Countries getting to be? Are the Americans that sure that someone buying brass is going to be a terroist?
Is the Canadian Government so stupid to think that if you own a gun you are going to be a mad killer?

I have imported guns and barrels out of the USA abd it is a lot less hassel that getting some minor parts for reloading.

My take on this stupid bureaucratic law(s) Ken.