PDA

View Full Version : oxidation on my smelting pot?

par0thead151
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
i got a layer of what looked like oxidation on the top of my lead while smelting. it was a goldish color. is this really lead oxodising? or am i not stirring it often enough/fluxing enough?
thanks

high standard 40
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
That sounds like oxidation. Do you use a thermometer? Keeping your melt temp as low as possible will help, under 700 for sure. Doesn't really hurt anything though.

sheepdog
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Sounds like maybe your tin floating on top or lead oxidation. I usually flux as soon as I see it and it goes back to a pretty mercury look.

jdgabbard
03-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I used to get that when I was using a small pot with a ladle. Would stir it back in and flux and everything was great. But now that I use a bottom pour, unless I add more alloy or unless it gets pretty thick, I just let it sit on top. I figure it will act as insulation against further oxidation.

par0thead151
03-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I used to get that when I was using a small pot with a ladle. Would stir it back in and flux and everything was great. But now that I use a bottom pour, unless I add more alloy or unless it gets pretty thick, I just let it sit on top. I figure it will act as insulation against further oxidation.

please tell me more about a bottom pour smelting pot!
thanks

Gunslinger
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Here you'll se a bottom pour furnace from Lee. Couldn't find a better picture. It has a spout underneath. It's pretty great, I have the same one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=645810

par0thead151
03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Here you'll se a bottom pour furnace from Lee. Couldn't find a better picture. It has a spout underneath. It's pretty great, I have the same one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=645810

i have the promelt 20# pot. for casting. i need something on a large scale for smelting the WW into ingots as i have a LOT of lead to process... and would much prefer it in ingots in the basement than in buckets in the garage...