PDA

View Full Version : Ch 105 dies

RICKGO1
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I was at CH tool &die web site,they have a swaging die 105. First they say, they are for beginners,one die does the whole job. There is one that says is for 1/2 jackets.I understand that one I think.The other says it is zinc base and will make the bore last longer. Is this just to make lead bullets and if so do you use soft lead wire or a cast core? They also say that it will work in any press.Does anyone have any experience with them?

BT Sniper
03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Have herd you want to stay away from the zink. The 105 is to make 1/2 jacketed SWC or RN bullets. I do not have any experience with them yeat but have asked around. I do have the 101 series dies and they will make anything you could possibly want. They were my first set of dies and fairly easy to master.

Red River Rick
03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Have herd you want to stay away from the zink.

Can you explain WHY?

RRR

BT Sniper
03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Really can't say why as I don't realy know. I was just told the zinc based bullets are not worth it is all I have heard.

yarro
03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I bought the two die set in multiple calibers. They work much better than single die set ups. I have never been happy with half-jacketed bullets. I don't want any lead touching the bore.

-yarro

MIBULLETS
03-24-2009, 08:55 PM
I have heard that the zinc based bullets work fine if and only if the zinc washer fits the groove diameter of your barrel well. If the fit is too loose you will get lead in your barrel. If the zinc fits it helps to scrape away the lead like a gas check.

Supposedly the zinc will slide down the barrel easier than a cooper gas check and can leave some of the zinc coating in the barrel. I have no experience with this, but I have read about it many times.

Pavogrande
04-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I have a set of the ch dies, but have not yet used them -- If I remember correctly these were originally called Harvey Protex bore bullets and were covered in one of the older lyman manuals -- 43rd? -- Used them in the 60's, no real obvious advantage, biggest disadvantage is just fiddling with the pesky washers --- my ha-penny