PDA

View Full Version : How many grooves do you lube?

Recluse
03-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Ken (45Nut) mentioned "stubborness" in another thread about homemade lubes, and I reckon that fits me. I tried out a new lube formula using some synthetic axle/bearing grease. Results were dismal.

Then (MT) Gianni asked me how many grooves I lubed on the 148 gr wadcutters. I lubed all three. Typically, I only lube one groove, sometimes two--but, it's been a long time since I ran wadcutters through a lubesizer. I've got a tumble lube recipe and technique down very pat and very consistent. I think I'm going to size/lube some of the wadcutters and only lube one groove, load them up and see how they shoot. It's the stubborn streak in me.

(I know, if it ain' broke DON'T FIX IT![smilie=1:)

For the other boolits I run through a lubesizer, most only have one lube groove, so as to "how many to lube" it is a non-issue. Some of the .429 boolits have two grooves; a few of my older .358 SWC boolits have multiple grooves, and of course, the 148 wadcutters have three grooves. Then there are the long gun boolits.

How many grooves do y'all lube and how do you decide how many to lube? I'm guessing trial and error as to "how many," but I'm curious.

:coffee:

felix
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I load them all and tailor the lube to the application. ... felix

Shiloh
03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I have adjusted the depth of the lubrisizer and only lubed two grooves. No leading. I fill them all now. There doesn't seem to much if I fill them all, so I do.

Shiloh

44man
03-22-2009, 07:18 PM
I use as much lube as a boolit will take and even have some smeared on the nose. Since I hand lube and run through an oversize Lee die, it gets all over, I just leave it. I do wipe off the brass.

Shiloh
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
If there are lube stars on the muzzles, I know I have adequate lube, especially on rifles. If there are lube grooves, they will be filled.

Shiloh