PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold question

03-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Just got a Lyman "Devastator" .44 250 grain hollow point mold. The hollow point pin(with wood handle) is a separate piece and I do not see how it attaches to the blocks. What gives???:confused:

Hickory
03-22-2009, 01:45 PM
First close the mold, then stick the rod with the wooden handle into the bottom. Give it a little twist and it should stay in place.

mooman76
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
You should have a screw in the mould block and a ring with a knotch on the hollow point pin. Together they hold it in place.

MT Gianni
03-22-2009, 03:41 PM
If you have cast with Lee or Clymer before you have to pull the pin on each cast and reinsert it. Keep the pin hot for good fill out.

03-22-2009, 05:54 PM
OK I got it - inserted the screw into the bottom of the block and when rotated into position, the E-clip on the HP pin will hold it in position. I was confused as the 2 other molds I have (hollow base) the pin is on a plate that is attached to both mold halves and stays attached. The "non-captive" pin looks like a PITA to insert and remove during casting. How best to keep the pin hot during casting?

No_1
03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Some fashion a holder of sorts that allows them to have the pin in the melt between cast. I preheat my moulds on a hotplate to ~650 degrees then start casting with it. I tend to run my melt somewhere around ~850 and cast fast which does not give the pin a chance to cool. If you are having problems getting the nose to fill out around the pin then your melt is too cool. If you have problems removing the pin from the mould then your melt is too cool. Using Bullshop's Bullplate lube on the pin before you start will eliminate most problems. If you want to give up on it before you start you can sell it to me. ;)

Robert

fredj338
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a several HP molds, including that one. I find in the normal routine of casting, the pin stays hot. You can stick it into the molten lead to preheat, but once you get going it's fine. If yo uwalk away from the pot, just leave the pin inside the mold & stick the mold on top of the pot.
BTW, I had Erik make an add'l. pin for my 44Dev. It now throws a 270grHP cast from 20-1 alloy & expands nicely to 1250fps. I found the stock HP casts a 265gr bullet & blows off the nose much beyond 1000fps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-272-1K.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/fredj338/44-265.jpg

leftiye
03-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Great results, and great pictures! What was the expansion test medium? Has anyone done tests like fred j did with this boolit only using 50/50 WW/pure lead alloy? May be that the larger hollow point hole design would perform better at high velocities with a harder alloy. That weight boolit can be shot at 1500 fps in a .44 mag. Just saying that this velocity is available, not that it should be used. There is also the issue of range, and impact velocity lessening at longer ranges, so higher initial velocities might be beneficial at longer ranges. Also, the toughness of lead/antimony alloys maxes out at about 2% tin and 2% antimony. This is right near to what 50/50 alloy is.