PDA

View Full Version : 9MM Cast and Blue Dot Question.

TC66
03-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Looking for a good load for Blue dot with a 9MM 110 Gr cast load. Not seeing it in my books. I do see one for a 147 Gr cast though. Any assistance would be appreciated. Starting to cast for my Dad's 9MM and have no experience with 9MM at all.

kawalekm
03-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Closest I came in the 47th ed. Lyman manual was a 115 grain 358345 SWC. That was loaded with 8.4 grains of Blue Dot with either Federal or Winchester brass and either CCI 500 or Winchester 108 primers with an OAL of 0.997". You can assume that the powder charge pushing a 115 grain bullet would be safe with a 110 grain one, but work up the load with your brass and components and go from there.

I use nothing other than Blue Dot for all my pistols. I load 8.0 grains of BD with Lee's 120 grain TC and 6.0 grains with Lyman's 358477.
Good luck,
Michael

TC66
03-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Michael. I was running some numbers in spreadsheets and that is real close to what I was figuring. I had 8.2 Gr. Just wanted to make sure.

9.3X62AL
03-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I dived into the Data Banks (just offshore from La Jolla) to find some cast boolit 9mm/Blue Dot loads for ya........and found that I've only used BD with J-words. I did like what it did with the redcoats, though--high velocities and moderate attendant pressures, just like AA-7 gives. Good accuracy, too. If I were to duplicate my carry loads (Speer Lawman 124 GDHP +P) with jacketed bullets, Blue Dot would get the nod as a powder to try first.

Michael, that 0.997" OAL seems awfully short to me. I'm not one to argue with published data, but......

TC, if you are new to the 9mm it can be a tricky caliber to load for. There is a wider parameter of tolerances in barrel and reloading component dimensions than in most handgun calibers, and in truth the caliber works more like a rifle chambering than a handgun caliber--high pressure and fast twist rate being its hallmarks. Slug your pistol's throat and barrel, and adhere VERY closely to those findings with boolit sizing. My 9mm pistols all run between .356" to .357" in their throats and grooves, and they get boolits sized @ .357". Boolit metal is a little harder than wheelweight alloy, I use 92/6/2 for my 9mm slugs. Alox 50/50 lube gets the nod. This is what I meant by saying "treat it like a rifle". 9mm chambers can be cut very wide, also. Not a lot to be done about that, other than find an aftermarket barrel. If you go that route, find one that features a near-minimum dimensioned chamber and groove diameter, and a slower twist rate (e.g., 1-16"). A 9mm set up with a well-fit barrel like this can absolutely drive tacks.

fredj338
03-22-2009, 08:41 PM
You can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets. You can also take jacketed data & reduce it 5% & get where you need to be. I think your 8.2gr is definitely max. I would feel safer using 8gr as max. This is based on Speer 115gr data.