PDA

View Full Version : Loob Grooves.......1 big one or many little ones?

Fish_N_Russ
03-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Which is better? (if there is such a thing)
A boolit with one big lube groove, as in many RCBS or Saeco Molds or a few to many smaller ones, like just about all Lee and some Lyman molds??

It seems cast boolits I see at gun shows for sale are almost always one big groove....is that because it is easier to run (size/lube) those profiles ? or because they work better??

Just wondering......thanks

felix
03-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Better is all about boolit balance in flight, and the tools to make that style of boolit. That is an engineer talking. A salesman takes the stance that a boolit has to look like a boolit from historical accounts. Therefore, there is no answer to your question. ... felix

runfiverun
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
it is faster easier and less messy to lube one big groove.
but one big groove is definately better then one small one,unless your bbl is only 2" long.
many grooves give you options,and pains till you figure out if your gun likes them all full or just some of them.
i have a 30-30 and with one load it shoots best if i size the boolit first [makes the bearing surface bigger] then fill all the grooves with lube.
and another load that shoots best if i fill the grooves full then size then wipe all the lube that is exposed off the boolit.
don't know why, as they are approximately the same velocity,with nearly the same burn rate of powder.
and sized to the same size. with the same lube.
but the groups are different if i do them different.