PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot and 240 gr. 45 acp

acemedic13
03-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Just loaded sevreal hundred rounds of 240 ish grain cast with 4.1 of red dot. These rounds shoot great! I was surprised at the low recoil and incredible accuracy I am getting out of this OLD can of red dot.

I was running low on bullseye and wanted to finish off this surplus of 45 acp brass I had. So I loaded them up with this old can of red dot. After loading a few, I test fired them. I was very suprised this old can of powder was still in perfect condition. So I went into production mode. After several hundred rounds I moved a few yards from the loading bench to shooting bench, to do some comparitive analysis between a bunch of loads. The red dot load with the 240 gr. boolit, was hands down the best in accuracy, hammer like effect on targets, and recoil. Was also pretty slow (averaged about 730 fps) The other effect that made me happy about using red dot was how perfectly it metered. If there was a charge that was off by any little bit, it was usually because of something other than the powder.

Bottom line, I think I have found new powder to use in all my shotgun AND 45 needs. I still love bullseye....(REALLY love bullseye)........But.............Red Dot has found a new place on my bench..........It also has a really cool hard "BASS" sound when it goes off. Not a loud "crack" but, a hard hard "wooom". Just an added effect. LOL.

fordwannabe
03-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I use reddot in several of my handgun loads for the reasons you mention. What boolit were you using? Tom

Calamity Jake
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Me and my BH shoot a lot of cowboy action matches with 45C and 12 gage, both are loaded with Red Dot. Been using it for years.

The new formula brought out a few years ago is a lot cleaner burning.

dale2242
03-22-2009, 02:46 PM
acemedic, Like you I had a bunch of boolits a friend gave me and Red Dot left from my trap shooting days. Just to burn them up and have some plinking ammo, I loaded some 357 mags with 5 gr. Red Dot and 358156 boolits. The combo shoots so well it is now my favorite mid range load. Shoots about 1050 fps from my 6" GP100.---dale