PDA

View Full Version : colt gold cup

milltownhunter
03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
i have a colt gold cup 1911 that i can not get the hammer down how would i fix it with out going to a gunsmith ? do not want to go to a gunsmith this pistol has no paper trail

Patrick L
03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I think we need a bit more info. You mean the hammer won't release from full cock, or it releases but won't go all the way forward, or what?

Also, not to sound stupid or to insult your intelligence, but you are depressing the grip safety, right? And the thumb safety is flipped down, right?

milltownhunter
03-22-2009, 09:01 AM
it is stuck in full cock

Patrick L
03-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I can only assume there is some foreign object that has gotten inside (or perhaps a piece of a broken part) and is preventing something from moving properly, either the trigger from moving back enough to trip the sear, or the sear from moving enough to trip. The only other thing that comes to mind is if someone attempted a trigger job and changed parts, and ended up with a set of tolerances that just is not compatible. But I'm inclined to think its more likely just a piece of crap stuck inside jamming things up.

I think you need to take her apart. Its not difficult, and if you don't have a manual there is an abundance of information on the net that will guide you.

Make sure she's unloaded!

Let us know what you find.

dubber123
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
If it has an overtravel screw in the face of the trigger, back it off. If it was set very close to sear release, it would take almost nothing in the way of debris to prevent release.

milltownhunter
03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
thanks dubber 123 that seam to be the trouble

HeavyMetal
03-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Back in my IPSC days ( first match as a matter of fact) I had the same problem!

Match was run on two seperate ranges, one for short range stage ( 10 yards) the other for the long range stage ( 15 to 50 yards) Fired short range stage and was shooting A class scores!

Went to the long range stage and the gun refused to fire every other rond and ad the trigger get very heavy! Droped enough shots ( no alibi in IPSC) that I finished in Low D class!

Got home and stripped the gun and found some unburned powder risidue behind the over travel screw. At that point I did two things first I set up a travel tool box specifically for match day and second I stopped shooting Bullseye in my 45 loads!

Problem went away, I never did have to use that tool kit on my gun but it sure saved the day for a couple other guys over 5 years of match shooting!

Patrick L
03-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Good call Dubber! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

StarMetal
03-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Be very CAREFUL about taking the sear apart on the Gold Cups because they have extra parts that regular 1911's don't have...that are very very small and tedious to work with. There this little lever that has a little spring (no thicker then mechanical pencil lead and only like 1/8th inch long) that are the devil to get back together if you don't know what you are doing. Very easy to lose that spring too. I use a slave pin to reassemble it and even then getting those two parts into position and to stay is mind boggling. If you strip the gun apart I wouldn't remove the sear and just spray it real good with a cleaner and blow it out with an air compressor.

Joe