PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Cast Boolit Concerns

Erik
03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Hello,

Due to the increasing expense and rarity of 7.62x39 ammunition, I am going to start reloading brass. I would like to use bullets cast from wheel weights, but I'm worried about leading. With my 9x18 Makarov, cast bullets at those relatively slow velocities leaded my barrel. Won't wheel weight cast bullets shot from an Ak-47 lead the barrel even more?

Thanks for your advice,

Erik

Shooter6br
03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I cast Lee 160 TL for my SKS using wheelweights I use 24 g H322 I use gas checks. Ed Harris has more data for this round. I also hear of guys using lithium grease in the gas tube to make clean up of leading easier Rick

Leftoverdj
03-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Erick, the short version is that lead bullets need not lead in either the Mak or the AK. It's not as simple as loading jacketed, but, with rare exceptions, when you get leading, you are doing something wrong.

Ole
03-22-2009, 01:43 AM
No problems with the 2R155 bullet in my Sks using water quenched WW's+2% tin.

I've used 16.0 grains of IMR 4227. Current load i'm working on is using 18.7 grains of W680. People say AA1680 can be used with one grain heavier powder charges, because it's slower.

When my stash of W680 runs out, i'll probably switch to either RL7 or H322.

I think you'll be pleased with the results. Casting for my SKS was the whole reason I got into casting boolits. I've reloaded for 20+ years, but never saw the need to cast my own until now.

Ole
03-22-2009, 01:45 AM
BTW: Reloadable 7.62x39 brass can be hard to come by. It might be made of brass, but treat it as if it's GOLD! :mrgreen:

Erik
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not planning on using brass. I'm going to be reloading steel cases.

runfiverun
03-22-2009, 01:25 PM
erik your makarov probably likes boolits sized 366 or larger.
your sks will probably like them at 312 or so and waterdropping them will definately help.
have fun with those steel cases.
remember to only use them once, maybe twice.

MT Gianni
03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Use a good lube.

Recluse
03-22-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm not planning on using brass. I'm going to be reloading steel cases.

Erik, I think you need to do a lot of reading up on reloading before you start. You may quickly decide that it is not for you. Done properly, reloads can and often are more reliable and far more accurate than factory--although "accuracy" and "AK" go togther like "Freedom" and "Obama." :rolleyes:

Done improperly, reloading can be dangerous and in a variety of ways. I've seen well more than one gun torn up beyond repair due to bad reloading practices (in fairness, you have to really WORK for a kaboom that bad), but I've also seen some significant injuries as well. Couple of years ago, I personally saw a guy lose almost all use of his right hand, plus lose his right eye because of some horrible reloads. Won't get into it here, but the guy was a walking poster child for Darwin.

Reloading steel? You can do it, but I rarely advise it--and sure as hell not with beginning or novice reloaders. Casting boolits and then reloading them, and being new to both casting and reloading? Lot of challenges ahead, my friend. You can do it, and the challenges can be met and conquered, but you'll suffer more disappointment than joy early on.

Reloading can be extremely rewarding. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment, the myriad of options I have, custom-tailoring rounds to each of my individual weapons, and the endless quest for the ultimate and perfect round.

Best of luck to you, but I'd strongly urge you to grab a couple of good books on the reloading process and study them well. Internet forums are okay, but everyone needs a good book or two as their "foundation" of knowledge.

Regards.

:coffee:

jdgabbard
03-22-2009, 04:15 PM
although "accuracy" and "AK" go togther like "Freedom" and "Obama." :rolleyes:

Who Told you that??? I've got an AK that will put out MOA groups. Their not all that accurate, but they are more than suitible for their destined purpose. And more than accurate for what they are used for. Obviously it wasn't designed as a bench rest gun...

Anyways. If you decide to start reloading for 7.62x39 you need to know something about it. Most SKSs don't have this problem, but many of the AK-47 and '74s have a little excessive headspace. Many of the people who have begun reloading for them have had case head separation after a few as two loadings.

Is this one you bought, or is it one you built? If you built it off a parts kit did you check headspace, or did you just line up the hole for the barrel pin?

Recluse
03-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Who Told you that??? I've got an AK that will put out MOA groups.

Firsthand experience with a variety of AKs. . .

Hey, no doubt you have an AK that will do MOA. Obama occasionally tells the truth, too. . . :mrgreen:

jdgabbard
03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Firsthand experience with a variety of AKs. . .

Hey, no doubt you have an AK that will do MOA. Obama occasionally tells the truth, too. . . :mrgreen:

Thats funny.

Seriously though. Any properly built AK will shoot VERY accurately provided the barrel isn't worn out and whatnot. If everything is built to spec it will shoot very nicely. It all comes down to who built it. I've got a Century that sucks. But I have a home build that will keep all of them on a 3.5" Bullseye at 100 yards with open sights. Another if you stick an optic on it will place them all into a .75" group with the occasional flyer.

So don't doubt them all. Many of them are VERY accurate.

Erik
03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Erik, I think you need to do a lot of reading up on reloading before you start. You may quickly decide that it is not for you. Done properly, reloads can and often are more reliable and far more accurate than factory--although "accuracy" and "AK" go togther like "Freedom" and "Obama." :rolleyes:

Done improperly, reloading can be dangerous and in a variety of ways. I've seen well more than one gun torn up beyond repair due to bad reloading practices (in fairness, you have to really WORK for a kaboom that bad), but I've also seen some significant injuries as well. Couple of years ago, I personally saw a guy lose almost all use of his right hand, plus lose his right eye because of some horrible reloads. Won't get into it here, but the guy was a walking poster child for Darwin.

Reloading steel? You can do it, but I rarely advise it--and sure as hell not with beginning or novice reloaders. Casting boolits and then reloading them, and being new to both casting and reloading? Lot of challenges ahead, my friend. You can do it, and the challenges can be met and conquered, but you'll suffer more disappointment than joy early on.

Reloading can be extremely rewarding. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment, the myriad of options I have, custom-tailoring rounds to each of my individual weapons, and the endless quest for the ultimate and perfect round.

Best of luck to you, but I'd strongly urge you to grab a couple of good books on the reloading process and study them well. Internet forums are okay, but everyone needs a good book or two as their "foundation" of knowledge.

Regards.

I guess this misunderstanding is my fault, now that I've reread my original message. I've been reloading for over a year now. I'm just starting on rounds for my AK-47 for the first time. I've only done pistol rounds so far. I've also cast bullets for around 1000 9mm rounds, which work great. However, I had significant leading when I casted for 9x18 Makarov. Of course, one problem may be that I just didn't have a proper bullet sizing die for it. However, I'm worried that at the much higher velocities of 7.62x39, I'll be leading my barrel like crazy.

Could someone knowledgable write a list of tips for me on not leading my barrel at those high velocities?

Erik
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
erik your makarov probably likes boolits sized 366 or larger.
your sks will probably like them at 312 or so and waterdropping them will definately help.
have fun with those steel cases.
remember to only use them once, maybe twice.

The RCBS spitzer round for 7.62 is .309. Should I use that?

JIMinPHX
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
The Mak shouldn't lead up badly with boolits made from WW as long as they are sized & lubed properly. A lot of Mak barrels tend to have rather large chambers & bores. You might be surprised just how big when you slug them.

jdgabbard
03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
The Mak shouldn't lead up badly with boolits made from WW as long as they are sized & lubed properly. A lot of Mak barrels tend to have rather large chambers & bores. You might be surprised just how big when you slug them.

I think most when slugged will average in the .365-.367 depending on how often you've shot them. I had one tho that when slugged measured .363. That was kinda weird I though.

MT Gianni
03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I guess this misunderstanding is my fault, now that I've reread my original message. I've been reloading for over a year now. I'm just starting on rounds for my AK-47 for the first time. I've only done pistol rounds so far. I've also cast bullets for around 1000 9mm rounds, which work great. However, I had significant leading when I casted for 9x18 Makarov. Of course, one problem may be that I just didn't have a proper bullet sizing die for it. However, I'm worried that at the much higher velocities of 7.62x39, I'll be leading my barrel like crazy.

Could someone knowledgable write a list of tips for me on not leading my barrel at those high velocities?

Keep the velocities less than jacketed. Shoot for 1600 fps and reliable ejection.

Erik
03-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I kept the velocities of my Makarov bullets at less than 1000 and it still leaded the Makarov pistol barrel. What's wrong?

snaggdit
03-28-2009, 11:02 AM
The RCBS spitzer round for 7.62 is .309. Should I use that?

You should slug your barrel before ordering a mold. SKSs and AKs are typically .310-.311. A .309 boolit might be small and lend itself to gas blowby hence leading. I could cast a few pure lead boolits and send them to ya if you need them.

35remington
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Erik, make sure your steel cases are not berdan primed. Look into the case from the top with a flashlight. If you see two small holes instead of one they're berdan primed and therefore not really easily reloadable. Standard dies won't punch out the primer.

Brass is superior, especially in terms of wear on dies.

Most AK-47's I've shot or heard reports on are rather mediocre groupers, despite pie in the sky claims. Most don't have the barrel quality of a Shilen or even a standard factory sporting rifle. The chrome plating found in some barrels can be a bit uneven. If you can keep five at around three inches at 100 every time do a happy dance, because you're better than average.

"I kept the velocities of my Makarov bullets at less than 1000 and it still leaded the Makarov pistol barrel. What's wrong?"

Most likely the bullets didn't match the barrel, and often the barrels are larger in groove diameter than you might think.