PDA

View Full Version : Dry Teflon Spray patch lube

n.h.schmidt
03-21-2009, 11:51 AM
HI guys
I'm new here but, have been shooting cast bullets for years. Been using pp slugs in my 30 cals (308 and 30-06)for years too. I sure am learning a lot of new and good things here. The cheap roller for patching is a advancement for me.
Now to get to what I would like to know. Do any of you use dry teflon spray to lube the patches? In a NRA published book called Cast Bullets by Col.E. Harrison,this is covered well. Its in a chapter called Cast Bullets Come Of Age. In it using the lyman 301618 and 301620 pp speeds of up to 2800fps were attained. All with good accuracy . In a later chapter pp was done for a 300 Win Mag. Speeds of up to 3000 was found possible.All this was attained with a heavy spray of dry teflon followed by sizeing with alox in a luber /sizer.
Have things changed and something has been found better for very hi speed?
If something has been found that is better ,man that would be great. I'm always ready for new ideas.
Thanks
n.h.schmidt

pdawg_shooter
03-21-2009, 12:28 PM
I havent had much luck with spray lubes or teflon. I have been using BAC and then running through a push through die to remove the excess. I have pushed a 311284 to a bit over 3000fps from a 300RUM with just under MOA. There is a post on it here.

leftiye
03-21-2009, 01:21 PM
You probly can't beat lubing lightly with Johnson's Paste wax, and sizing. Course Harrison did do it that way, so it also probly works.

n.h.schmidt
03-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the replys. I will give these other lubes a try. Has anyone tried a moly lube like Lyman sells?
n.h.schmidt

windrider919
03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I tried the moly lube but it caused my patches to get loose while wet and after it dried they did not tighten up as much as before. I also had some problems in chambering where the patch would catch and accordion pleat as the bullet chambered. I accidentally fired the first one of these to do that and got overpressure. It had chambered just a little harder but not much harder so I did not catch on until I fired it. The next round that had the slightly harder feel I unchambered and found the patch pushed down to half its pre-chambering length and it had pleated and packed the throat tightly. Those rounds that chambered regularly and fired without excessive pressure still did not group all that well.

For a while it was all the rage to coat our bullets with moly but like all fads, it mostly disappeared. Most got no better accuracy or less leading and it seemed to be just another useless step. Yet some still swear by it, even though most have dropped it. Thats why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, so there is something for everyone.

Buckshot
03-22-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.fototime.com/C9730B459E8C514/standard.jpg

............When using smokless you can use spray on moly, as used for machine gibs and other highly loaded rubbing/sliding surfaces. Since it has a volatile carrier you don't have to worry about it soaking into and loosening the patch.

..............Buckshot