PDA

View Full Version : What is a Cherry?

joecool911
03-20-2009, 08:20 PM
I dont know what a Cherry is. Can someone please give me the lowdown?[smilie=1:

theperfessor
03-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I could think of several irreverent responses to that question, but in the context of making making bullet molds....

It is the specially shaped cutting tool that is used to make the cavity in the bullet mold. Normally used to refer to the multiple flute (many cutting edges - 4, 5 ,6) cutters used in traditional mold making. This is the expensive part of traditional custom bullet mold making, as each cutter is unique and must be made to order.

carpetman
03-20-2009, 08:36 PM
A cherry is a fruit that grows on a tree. They are round shaped and usually red. Strawberries are very easy to tell apart as strawberries actually have their seeds on the outside and a cherry has a pit(seed) in the center. Come to think of it because strawberries don't grow on trees are they actually a berry? Peanuts are not actually nuts as they grow on vines, not in a tree.

theperfessor
03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow carpetman, that's not nearly as irreverent a response as I have come to expect from the members!

As for cherries, strawberries, and peanuts, all I know is that I like pie made from all of them.

Heavy lead
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow Carpetman, I figured you'd hit this one out of the park!
We've got a lot of those sweet black cherries here in Michigan, and a few of those mostly white Queen Anne cherries too!

Good luck with this thread guys!

tonyb
03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow I wouldn't blame the guy if he told his friends to stay away from castboolits.
:roll:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmmm.....(silence)

GSPKurt
03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
crickets chirping...

jhrosier
03-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I think that it is irrelevant guys.
Irreverent would be an joke about religion.

And now for something completely different.....and relevant.

A cherry is a cutter used for milling the cavity of a mould.
A cherry for a round ball mould would have a small driving shank attached to a larger, round cutter, bearing a visual resemblance to the fruit of the same name.

:coffee:

Jack

crabo
03-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Anyone have a picture of one?

joecool911
03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
I knew I was in for it when I asked.

Phil
03-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Don't have a bullet cherry handy but a chamber reamer is the same idea. It has flutes that cut the shape you see here. A chamber reamer is used in a lathe, a bullet cherry is the same sort of deal except the mold halves are put in a double acting vise in a milling machine and the vise is slowly closed, allowing the cherry to cut a cavity in the same shape of the reamer. When done, you have a bullet mold. In the photo here, when you're done you have a rifle chamber.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/twoprops/reamer.jpg

Cheers,

Phil

Cap'n Morgan
03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Anyone have a picture of one?

Not the real McCoy, but you'll get the idea:

http://www.frits.dk/varktoj.asp?id=1171

Boomer Mikey
03-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Here's one:

Who knew that bullet making was quickly becoming an old fashioned activity? I you want a low tech how-to, this one’s for you:

“Like darning socks, making bullets is a dying art. Used to be just about everyone with a need for ammo poured their own, using iron or even wooden molds. These days only a few diehard hobbyists still do it, and they use aluminum molds. But even fewer people still make silver bullets.

“Actually, not many people ever made silver bullets. It’s a difficult process, and their efficacy against werewolves has never been scientifically proven. I suppose their renown came from the perception that silver was a distinguished metal, often spoken of in connection with its higher-class cousin, gold. But today silver is far more common, and it tarnishes over time, primarily because of sulfur pollution from power plants. (By and large, it didn’t tarnish before the Industrial Age.)

“I couldn’t find any references describing real historical silver-bullet-crafting techniques. At 1,764°F, molten silver would ruin traditional and modern bullet molds. They could have been fashioned using jewelers’ methods, but that would require a new plaster mold for every bullet. Frankly, I think people spent a lot more time talking about silver bullets than they did turning them out. I don’t like legends that are all talk, so I decided to see what it takes to produce a real silver bullet: not plated, not sterling—pure silver.

“To create the mold, I first had to construct a bit. I used a lathe to turn a steel rod into a bulletlike shape, then used a milling machine to cut away a quarter-circle wedge of the rod, leaving a sharp cutting edge. Basically I had built a router bit shaped like a bullet. (I’ve fabricated bits like this freehand with a file; which works fine, it just takes longer. Much longer.) After using the bit to machine the graphite bullet mold, I used an electrically heated graphite crucible to pour in 0.999 fine liquid silver at about 2,000°F, which is 230°F above its melting point. The mold must be preheated with a blowtorch to keep the silver from solidifying before it fills the whole cavity. One of the benefits of using graphite is that it keeps the silver from oxidizing, so bullets come out bright and shiny.” Source: Popular Science

http://www.realtechnews.com/blog/wp-content/how0705bullet_485x300.jpg

Boomer :Fire:

Bret4207
03-23-2009, 06:58 AM
I thought peanuts were on the root of the plant?

.45Cole
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
ya bret4207 I was quite dissappointed when carpetman took the higher road :holysheep and then (to the best of my knowledge) failed to classify a peanut as a legume. I'll bet he didn't even flinch when Crabo asked if anybody had a picture of one![smilie=1:

joecool911
03-26-2009, 01:37 AM
OK, now that I have taken all the smart comments in good spirits...can you tell me if there is a standard for who keeps the cherry when you pay to have it cut? Does the mould maker keep it and use it for other customers or does it become mine to use with any other mould maker I choose?

shotman
03-26-2009, 02:11 AM
Well I hit this too . Was going to add some also. Looks like it has been covered.
The cherry is a contract thing like any set up. If you pay for it it and say you want it. It is not to be used for another person without your ok. He can make a "copy" but the copy has to have a change in it. Now the change can be micoscopic. I had a AL company do a "copy " of some AL extruisons and made the "legs" 1/16 in longer. Was not same so did not cross into copy right area

shotman
03-26-2009, 02:17 AM
It was the first -----------I forget

briarthorn
03-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Well it can be many things but I've always thought of it as a Series 70 Gold Cup in the original box never fired, but then again that's just my thoughts i could be wrong, just depends where your heads at ;-)

mauser1959
03-28-2009, 03:49 AM
I am not quiet sure of them cherries, in fact I have never seen one; though I did see the box that one came in.