PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Lube Questions?

fusil
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Ça-vá mes amies,
I’ve read the ‘Stickies’ section on home made lube.
I have a few questions, as usual!!!!!:groner:

When the lube recipe says paraffin do they mean paraffin wax i.e. candles?
Would the recipe be suitable for 38spl light target loads?
Is this lube suitable for pan lubing?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:
Merci et bon weekend tout le monde,
fusil

fusil
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Sorry guys.......:oops:
should have said,

Barry Darr's Lube Formula
1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline

fusil

JSnover
03-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Who thought there'd be so many different kinds of wax, huh? Parrafin is a fairly hard wax, tougher than most candles, I tihnk. I don't use it but I'm pretty sure you can find it anywhere home canning supplies are sold.

13Echo
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Parrafin wax, not diesel fuel. A bit of cross the Atlantic confusion. Most receipes use the grocery store canning wax or candle wax. It is perfectly suited to light .38 loads.

Jerry Liles

3rptr
03-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Yep...the parafin is hard, and brittle... which is why he's adding the vaseline in the mix.
So it's not dropping out of the grooves with any little bit of handling...

revolver junkie
03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
fusil this is the lube that i use almost exclusivly yes i use candles i personally preffer

1 1/2 -2 lbs parrafin
1lb vasoline

but i use a sizer
this works excellent for 38wadcutters
i would the 1 to 1 recipe
but i almost garentee that you'll want it thicker
closer to 2 to 1 it does still work fine for pan lubing
a little messy but it makes your hands silky soft LOL

fusil
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Salut tout le monde,
As always straight forward answers.:drinks:
I've been to the local marche and thay have 1kg blocks of canning wax for €2.
The chemist in my village has large tubs of Petrolium Jelly for the same sort of money.
I'm going to add some coloured cryons as well, just to make it a nice colour.:groner:
Merci comme normal,
fusil

DragoonDrake
03-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Hey fusil

I pan lube with that one, I toss it in the fridge after cooling and then pop out the cake once it has separated from the pan. Let it come back up to room temp or you will crack it as you try to remove the boolits while the cake is cold.

Adam

fusil
03-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Salut Adam,
do you use a cookie cutter or just pop them out by hand?:confused:

fusil

DragoonDrake
03-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I do not use a cutter, I tried once. I have a scar on my thumb. Just push, once you get the right depth it is not a problem. I go over the crimp groove on my boolits, I know you are not supposed to but it works for me. Then it is trust the timing.

With a cake premade (however you do it), load it with the boolits of choice, heat until fully melted, remove from heat, once solidified and not going to slosh when moved into fridge it goes, about 10-15 minutes later is 'pops' from the pie tin, remove from pie tin. Now try to push a few out, if they come out easy and grooves filled, have at it; if not wait ten minutes and try again. I have found that I usually just wait 20 minutes of so and I have no problem (I do have a callous on my thumb though).

Adam

fusil
03-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Merci mon amie:drinks:,
Adam I'll get started next weekend.

fusil

13Echo
03-22-2009, 01:17 PM
With the lubes I use for pan lubing I let the lube solidify in the pan at room temperature until it pulls away from the edge of the pan, then dump out the lube cake on a soft, thick towel, turn the cake back over and, with the cake sitting on the towel push on the bullet nose to loosen it in the cake. Pick the cake up and push the bullets out. I find a flat bottom aluminum or plastic pan works best. For some reason my lubes are reluctant to turn loose of a stainless steel pan.

Jerry Liles