PDA

View Full Version : drip

RICKGO1
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
New with questions. I have a lee pot bottom pour, that dripssssssssssss a lot.Turn the screw it stops for a min. then starts again. Is ther a cure?

sturf
03-20-2009, 03:51 PM
A Lyman or RCBS pot

shotman
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
drain pot put some sand in around the plunger and spin with a drill. Upand down . set a couple of 1/2 nuts [metal before some SA shows up} on the top of plunger .has worked for years for mee

lathesmith
03-20-2009, 05:29 PM
They don't call them the Lee Drip-o-matic for nothin'. Keep a screwdriver handy while casting, and when she starts dripping, give it a few back and forths; this should pretty much stop it (for a while).
lathesmith

tommyn
03-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Do not tap the screw with a mallet or you will find out how fast a full 20 pot of melted lead can drain. Take my word for it.

Dale53
03-20-2009, 09:09 PM
I have had a couple of Lyman's over the years and now have two RCBS pots. The RCBS pots have been of high quality but they have both wanted to drip from time to time. A couple of years ago someone on here suggested an inexpensive vice grip clamped to the valve handle will add enough weight to insure that the valve seats. BINGO!! Drips are GONE.

It seems to me that a similar fix (either the Chinese vice grips or maybe a turned piece of heavy metal could be added to the "valve stem" would probably work for the Lee, also. If I had a Lee that was dripping I would sure try that.

FWIW
Dale53

hydraulic
03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Cheap pair of vise grips on the handle, fluxing with a stick, covering the melt with kitty litter, all learned on this site, has cured my dripper. (drippie?)

KCSO
03-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Tap 10-32 and use a screw?

RICKGO1
03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
What great ideas. All look like they might work. I will start trying then today.Thanks every one. I will let you what happens.

Slinger
03-21-2009, 12:30 PM
You might have the stop rod adjusted too much to not let it shut off or fully seat. Mine hardly drips at all.

Recluse
03-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Keep your alloy clean, ie fluxed.

On my Lee pot, I drilled out the wooden handle and filled it with lead for a little extra weight. Cheap pair of vice grips helps as well (for added weight).

:coffee:

dromia
03-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Plug up the hole and use it as a dipping pot. Thats what I did and it makes a fine one.

I tried every wrinkle, tip, fix, mentioned here and elsewhere. I did everything, even considered burying the damned thing in damp peat for three years to stop the drip. Nothing fixed it and it always came back with a surging vengance.

Bought a RCBS promelt for pouring and its been perfect and nary a drip.

Lots more expensive, lots better pot.

shotman
03-21-2009, 04:29 PM
will buy all those drippers I offer $20 each for the 20lb pro I can sell a non drip for $200 on feebay let me know

Heavy lead
03-21-2009, 04:34 PM
All my pots drip, don't care anymore. Once they get up to temp and moulds are ready I hammer away so fast a few drips don't bother me at all, I'd rather cast, reload, shoot, and do some light gunsmithing than fool around trying not to get a bottom pour lead pot not to drip. Granted I don't know how much yours drips, but I just toss the drip turds back in the pot with the sprue.

WHITETAIL
03-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I have to agree wit Heavy Lead.
I tried to clean the hole, clean and reseat the
stopper.
Now I just took a small can like the ones from
breath mints.
And throw all the drips back. DONE DEAL![smilie=6:

Dale53
03-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I use an RCBS pot. I set an iron ingot mould (aka Lyman, Saeco, etc) under my spout. If you have enough room that will go a long way to mitigate the problems. I don't drip but I DO get overruns when I fill gang moulds, etc. It just runs in the ingot mould and when I need to, I just put it back in the pot. Really nothing to concern myself with. I don't know if the Lee has enough room underneath the spout or not, but it is something to look at.

Dale53