PDA

View Full Version : 311413 stability question for nonstandard usage

brian
03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
does anyone know if a 311413 seated backward w/o GC will stabilize in a 1-20" twist at 950 - 1000 fps (SS)? I've read many times that for subsonic applications, a teardrop shape is the most aerodynamic. mass forward, tapered rear section. 19th century BP CTG rifles fired cast PB at some relatively slow velocities with what seems today as very slow twists. I am wondering about using the 32-20 with the 311413 seated backward (mass forward, tapered rear, flat nose for tubular magazine use) for subsonic use. Has anyone already tried this combination? I'd like to hear all the details if someone has already done this.

I'm sure in a faster twist, there'd be no gyroscopic stability issues, but my 32-20 has a 1-20" twist and i'd rather not rebarrel. I will get this experiment done eventually but was hoping that someone has been there before me and can discuss this idea.

thinking of a very quiet, effective small game load (rabbits and squirrels). the flat base forward would be similar to a large metplat (almost full caliber), which i would think would be effective on small game. also the flat nose would work well in the tubular magazine. and if i can find a load that'll drive the bullet just below the speed of sound with the fastest burn rate powder that i have on hand, i'm thinking the muzzle pressure will be as low as possible for that velocity. that, i'm hoping, will result in the quietest report possible for that CB at that MV.

my worry though is the slow twist rate and it's ability to gyroscopically stabilize a CB as long as the 311413 at the subsonic speeds, which limits the rotational velocity.

thanks,
Brian

Larry Gibson
03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Seems like the lee TL314-90-SWC or the Hornady .32 90 gr swaged lead bullets would be better at 800-950 fps over a small dose of Bulseye. Half the bullet weight means twice the shooting for a given amount of alloy. Those swc shaped bullets are proven killers on small game. They are also known to be accurate in 32-20s with 20" twists.

However, I don't have an answer to your question. You might try it and let us know how it works in case someone else might ask that question (figure the odds on that though!).

Larry Gibson

kir_kenix
03-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I can't answer your specific question on the 311413, but I have shot the 113 gr Lee soupcan, and 160 gr Lee backwards with good accuracy and function. I know we arn't comparing apples to apples, but both of these boolits shot pretty well in 1:10 and 1:11 twist .30's. The 413 seems much longer then either so I'm not sure if any of this applies to you. Give it a try and see how she likes your slow twist and slow velocity.

For what its worth the 113 gr "soupcan" makes one heck of a good squirrel and rabbit hammer at around 950-1000 fps.

NoDakJak
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I just got back from the range and was testing 311413 in my new Remington SR-18 that is chambered to 7.62X39. 5.3 Grains of PB provided sub one inch groups at 25 yards. This may not sound like much but considering the fifteen to eighteen pound trigger pull that was looooong and draggy I consider it pretty good. This is a one in ten barrel. I think that I will try your idea with this round tomorow. I am not so sure that it is such a good idea in the 32-20 because the spitzer nose protrudes to such an extent into the short case. I think that I will try it in my Model 23 Savage and see what happens. Can any of you math geniuses out there figure what the case capicity will be and suggest a load? Neil