PDA

View Full Version : Obermeyer or "canted" rifling with cast boolits????

1950Target
03-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Has anyone tried shooting cast boolis in OBERMEYER or "CANTED" rifling? If so I would like to hear myour experiences.

I have an older 336 ADL in .30-30 with a shattered stock. I'd like to get some real nice wood and build me a .38-55 but its just not right to load .38-55 with jacketed boolits, that could be considered a crime against nature!

BIG NASTY LEAD BOOLITS!!!!!!

:Fire:

oldhickory
03-20-2009, 04:18 AM
Well sir, loading anything but a cast or swaged boolit in a 38-55 IS a crime against everything we look upon as holy.

twotrees
03-20-2009, 06:06 AM
I Have a 257 Roberts with an Obermeyer bbl on it But, last time I talked to him, he was so far behind in making long range match Hi-Power barrels, he didn't want to talk about making any other cal's. That was a couple of years ago, and I don't know what the situation is now, but call him, before you start planning your project.

BTW: this is one of the most accurate rifles i have in my rack.

Good Shooting.

sav300
03-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Obermeyer or "canted" rifling????

Gentleman,please explain as I have never heard of this.
Thank you.

Buckshot
03-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Obermeyer or "canted" rifling????

Gentleman,please explain as I have never heard of this.
Thank you.

............I'm guessing and don't intend to mis-speak but it could simply be ratchet rifling. I doubt there is anything truly new these days so far as rifling goes since folks have been fooling with it for about 400 years :-).

..............Buckshot

1950Target
03-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Yes it is sometimes called ratchet rifling and there are many people now making the OBERMEYER STYLE rifling. Basically and this is my inderstanding the grooves are not square bottomed they are canted one side of the groove is deeper than the other side. It is alsoy understanding that the number of grooves are usually an odd number (5) although I don't really know if there is any significance to that.

There are several custom barrel makers that are well=thought of are doing gain-twist in this style of rifling and that they generally make very accurate barrel that tends to be gentler on bullets, offer lower friction and higher velocities with same bullet weight/pressure as well as longer life.

At least that is what I've been told and I've currently got an order in with one of those barrel makers for som .308 barrels to my specs for FALs with heavy bullets 200 gr BT.

I've got that 336ADL with the shattered stock and thought I might build me a 336SC out of it. I like my 375 Marlins so much I thought it would be fun to have a .38-55 SC specifically for BIG NASTY cast BOOLITS, and specifically as a hunting gun for DEER and HOGS. I'm lookimg for about a 275 gr GC at about 1800, that should do anything I would want to do with it. A big boolit that uses its meplat and mass to do its job is a tried and true combination. It just seems to work as well today as it did 125 - 130 years ago. It would be plenty of medicine for deer, onery feral hogs and even Black Bear.

Buffalo Bore has some interesting factory loads in this range, and I think it is doable safely with modern brass and powders.

runfiverun
03-23-2009, 05:31 PM
my 375 marlin thinks it is a 38-55.
takes 379 boolits in winchester 38-55 brass. only way i could get it to shoot cast.

Frank46
03-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I think (here we go again) that boots developed what used to be called 5R type of rifling. Is supposed to not have the sharp corner like the standard 4 groove rifling. Less deformation of the bullet. Supposedly remington used this in their 30cal 40x series rifles in 308 and 30-06. And I seem to remember the Knight series of semi auto rifles also used this type of rifling. Now having said this I could be wrong. Frank

Greg5278
03-29-2009, 11:36 AM
You can't really give Boots Obermeyer crdit for the 5R type rifling. The Germans invented it, then the Russians took the Idea. The R in the name stands for Russian. I just had a 7R style barrel made up for my 12 gauge shotgun. The Delta Gun shop made the barrel, but consulted Obermeyer before cutting the rilfing hood. They did a beautiful job. The best part about the R style rifling, is the fouling is much easier to clean. In a gun that can foul easily, that is a bigt plus.
Greg

Char-Gar
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
The famous Harry Pope made his barrels with no sharp corners at the junction of the bottom of the land and the groove. He has a shallow "U" there. Harry felt this "Pope style rifling" was the secret of his ultra accurate barrels.