PDA

View Full Version : sorting out a single shot

camotruck
03-19-2009, 10:49 PM
can you guys help me out I'm thinking of buying a single shot rifle so that I'm not buying bolt action after bolt action just to "Play" with other rounds. I need help deciding and understanding some of the differences especially when it comes to Thompson Center Contender vs the Encore vs the G2. I even thought about going with a Ruger #1. I want a shooter as everyone does but I mostly want to change out BBls easy and have a large selection to choose from . I also see that we have a BBL swap forum so that intrests me as well.

Thanks Mike

leadman
03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
The Encore will have the largest possibility of different cartridges. The Contender and G2 won't handle the "high Intensity" cartridges. The NEF/H&R single shots will also handle the more powerful cartridges, but you have to send the frame back to the factory to have new barrels fitted. Ruger #1 is like most bolt actions, no easily interchangeable barrels.
A single shot is a slightly different animal than a bolt action. With the swapping of barrels comes a variance in headspace at times.
Check out Mike Bellm website, he has alot of good articles there adressing the problems and cures.

Ron B.
03-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Hello Mike,
I own two Encore receivers, and one G2. I much prefer the Encore as it's heavier, and beefier in design. I also like the stock barrel selection. If you are inclined, you can also order custom barrels from FoxRidge. I prefer heavy bull barrels with scope only. FoxRidge, if you purchase a barrel from them will install a scope mount of your choosing at no charge; using 6 screws. I like using the same designed steel scope mount; so I can easily interchange my scopes. The Encore is a reloader's dream; and has probably saved a lot of guns out there. I test any questionable load/round first in my Encores. They are almost indestructable. IMO.

One more thing. Although, I own pistol and rifle stock/forearms I prefer the rifle setup.
It's a lot more comfortable, shooting from bench the way I do.

GRB

camotruck
03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
OK a little more help...

and remember I confuse easily...

Not all the BBls ar interchangable what will fit what and Does anyone have a list of non-custom calibers available?

I'm thinking 7mm STW

lathesmith
03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
camotruck, it's pretty simple: Encore barrels fit Encore frames, and Contender/G2 barrels fit Contender and Contender G2 (as in Contender, 2nd Generation)frames. Period. If you want something with 7mm STW ballistics, your only choice is the Encore.
lathesmith

camotruck
03-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Very cool I think my dicision is made.

Thanks

TCLouis
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Obviously if you are thinking STW case you are not planning on a cast boolit shooter.

Remember all single shot rifles must have a hammer . . . it is just one of natures rules.

camotruck
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Not to start with but at some point I'm sure I will be adding BBLs

camotruck
04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I got mt Encore. Decided to go with 25/06. I've been reading about inaccuracy because of "Pin slop" between the frame and BBL. How far does one go and where should I start. Trigger jobs and enlarged pins and BBL castings. Are the TC BBLs as bad as I've read, or are these just guys on the net that can't shoot or have something to sell?

Mike

Heavy lead
04-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I have an Encore with a 50 ml barrel. I bought an aftermarket 6mm-06 barrel, oddly enough it has a 1/10 left twist, not right. Anyway, it is a good accurate barrel. The obvious problems with forend pressure are there as common sense would tell you, but with good and consistant techniques it shoots like a house a fire. Do wish it had a fast twist, at least a 9, 8 would be better, but it lays 85 grain Sierra BT's in there at 200 yards like it should.

Ron B.
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
Hello CamoTruck,
The pin problem, in my opinion is muchly overacted! Lol!

You need the pin to be loose enough for its removal. Never sand, or alter your pin in any way. Normal wear should break it in just right. I've shot Encores for years; and never have had a single problem with my stock pins. Once the action is closed, if all locks up tight you are good to go in my opinion. I once called TC about a spare pin thinking I needed a spare. I requested SS; which they promptly sent. And, at no charge to me.

GRB

largom
04-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Camotruck, Between my son-in-law and myself we have 6 Encore frames with 10 or 12 extra barrels in different calibers. Still have a couple of barrels to work up loads for BUT, of all of our barrels, only 2 have had acceptable accuracy as issued. I have lapped all of the rest to get accuracy.
While working as a smith [retired now] I worked on dozens and dozens of Encores to improve their accuracy. I have replaced the pins in all of my guns. The pin needs to be TIGHT! However, just changing the pin may not improve accuracy as there are many other issues. The TC Encore system is a great system, however, it has to be tweeked to get the most out of it.
You have been to Mike Bellm's site which also has a forum. You can learn a lot there and get answers to your questions. Mike Bellm is a gunsmith, yes he sells parts but, he cannot make a living selling a few parts. He does know Encores and Contender's, he makes his living working on them.
I am not selling any barrels but I would buy some.
Larry