PDA

View Full Version : Broke my Auto prime

JeffinNZ
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, after nearly 20 years of use my Lee Autoprime broke last evening. The thumb actuating lever snapped off - don't know my own strength [smilie=1:. In fairness I have been nursing the entire unit for a while as the feeding on the large primer tray has been playing up.

Fortunately my wife is going past my local reloading retailer today and will get me a new unit. I don't think the old one owes me anything to be honest.

Vly
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
I have broken two Lee Auotprimes over the years. Fortunately, it was a different part each time and I was able to make one good unit from the two broken ones. :)

So save the parts. Neither of mine lasted 20 years.

anachronism
03-19-2009, 06:52 PM
I have two around here that didn't make it anywhere near that long. Neither made it 20 weeks before wearing out the stupid cheap little *** link.

13Echo
03-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Been using mine for about 20 years. Just a bit of lube on the "sutpid cheap little *** link" and only enough pressure to bottom the primers in the primer pocket, no more, and the thing just keeps on going. One of the best priming tools ever made.

Jerry Liles

JeffinNZ
03-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Been using mine for about 20 years. Just a bit of lube on the "sutpid cheap little *** link" and only enough pressure to bottom the primers in the primer pocket, no more, and the thing just keeps on going. One of the best priming tools ever made.

Jerry Liles

Yeap. That's why I am replacing it. Couldn't see me reloading without one.

mtgrs737
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
I have broken three over the years, two broke where you slide in the shell holder and one broke at the lever. I do not blame the unit for any of these failures though, I like to make certain that i seat the primer below flush so I use two thumbs on the lever. I have two autoprimes in use, one in each primer size and a spare complete unit in the reloading cabinet. I also have new levers and an extra body as replacement parts. Where else can you get a tool that you use so much and works as well as these do for less than $15!

high standard 40
03-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I have broken just about every part on the Lee Autoprime. Haven't broken a part in years now. The lube and handling mentioned above help. I have also found that if I tumble the brass again after depriming, the primers seat with about half the effort. That final polish removes any residue that may impede primer seating. They go in slick as a whistle and no more breakage.

1hole
03-19-2009, 07:28 PM
When I bought my "first" Lee Autoprime, maybe 20 years ago, shortly after they starting making a primer tool with the auto feed anyway, I got two so I would have a back-up. Set one for large primers and one for small. Both are still working fine and all primers are seated slightly below flush too.

I got a Lee Autoprime II shortly after they came out. On the press (a little Lee "Reloader", dedicated to priming and another is dedicated to decapping) I can set the primers to any specific depth I wish. I like that too but only use it for most accurate rifle ammo, everything else goes through the older reprimers.

Never have understood why so many people break various Lee tools, they have sure worked fine for me. Of course that also applies to my Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Herter's, Redding, Forster, Sinclair and Pacific tools too. ???

Kraschenbirn
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Never actually "broke" a Lee Autoprime but did wear one out last year...cam link worn down to the point where it would no longer bottom out primers. On the other hand, I'd bought that particular tool sometime in the mid-1980s to replace one of the old "one-primer-at-a-time" tools that used the screw-in shell holder so I figure I got my money's worth.

Bill

DuaneH
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
I've broken 2 of them over the years. Both at the lip that retains the shell holder. Sent the broken part back to Lee and they sent a replacement both times. :-D I notice that the last one has a thicker casting at this point.
Before you buy a new one, give Lee a chance to replace it.

John Boy
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I've broken 2 Auto Prime levers. Called Lee Precision and they sent me a new one for free each time

JeffinNZ
03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
I've broken 2 of them over the years. Both at the lip that retains the shell holder. Sent the broken part back to Lee and they sent a replacement both times. :-D I notice that the last one has a thicker casting at this point.
Before you buy a new one, give Lee a chance to replace it.

Thing is I live at the bottom of the world and can't (won't) go weeks without being able to load. I don't mind buying a new one.

skeet1
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
What a great tool. Even though the above and loaders talk about their tool breaking or wearing our they still love it. How remarkable is that.

It just goes to show you if you have a good design and sell it at a reasonable price people will buy it.

Skeet1

anachronism
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Jerry Liles

I used a light lithium grease on the links wear point. I don't quite understand why I haven't beaten them to death with a hammer yet. When I called LEE about them (nicely), they asked for a credit card number. That was the last straw, after my break-o-matic "Challenger 2000".

slimpickins
03-22-2009, 12:24 AM
broke my lever tonight after about 600 cases Not too happy I wanted to get at least a few thousand out of it for 20$ guess ill have to install the arms on my press and go at it one at a time.

jimkim
03-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I have two around here that didn't make it anywhere near that long. Neither made it 20 weeks before wearing out the stupid cheap little *** link.

Are you talking about the connecting rod? http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/1003.jpg Mine is made of steel. I broke my lever tonight. The funny thing is, I bought it last june. The one bought in the mid eighties is still going strong.

EDG
03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I have been suing several of the screw in type since they first came out.
I have never broken one. I did have the threads go bad in one and the rocker wear down.
For me they have the best feel for priming and I have tried a lot of other tools too.

JeffinNZ
03-22-2009, 04:44 AM
SWMBO went to the dealer on Friday and he was closed. :( Never mind. I went to a working bee at my club today and I primed some cases while there on the RCBS bench presses. How on earth does anyone tolerate the slowness of priming on a press!!!???

Boomer Mikey
03-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I have 4 or 5 of them I've been using for over 25 years. I broke my first one 25 years ago (the toggle link), called Lee and got 5 replacement toggle links made out of steel. I still have 3 or 4 of the links somewhere in the shop. A little moly grease has made mine unbreakable.

I've tried several other hand primers but end up going back to the Lee.

Boomer

jlchucker
03-22-2009, 09:59 AM
I've broken 2 Auto Prime levers. Called Lee Precision and they sent me a new one for free each time

I broke one of mine a couple of years ago and called Lee. They sent me a new one free as well. That thumb lever is made of white metal. It's going to eventually break, given what it is used for. Too bad Lee doesn't make it out of some sort of molded delrin or maybe even steel. Might cost more, though.

montana_charlie
03-22-2009, 12:40 PM
How on earth does anyone tolerate the slowness of priming on a press!!!???
That would be for those who use two thumbs on the Lee.

The advantage of a hand priming tool is being able to feel the primer touch the bottom of the pocket.

Using enough power to crush the primer below the case head is not the answer, actually. If touching bottom doesn't put the primer deep enough, there is a problem with the brass.

CM

SpaceGlocker
03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I've got a used one to sell if any body is interested.....

Green Frog
03-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm with EDG. I've used the newer auto prime... a lot, but still prefer the older type with the screw-in shell holders. He and I have company, too, since there was another thread here on that one and a bunch of odd shell holders started changing hands! :coffeecom

I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. :drinks: I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality. :confused:

Froggie

Joe Bob
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Green Frog Said "I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality"

If they made one that lasted forever, they wouldn't be making them too long. Everybody that wanted one would have one and the demand would dry up. Probably

Bret4207
03-23-2009, 07:16 AM
I went through 4 or 5. Every one left dimpled primers. They worked and I was happy. I lubed, cleaned primer pockets, etc. Finally broke down and bought an RCBS, naturally just before they came out with the improved design, but it works great.

Rockchucker
03-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I've got a used one to sell if any body is interested.....
I'm interested, Pm sent.
Ron

Rockchucker
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the good deal SpaceGlocker, I bought yours for my son that's getting into reloading. I've had great success with mine with no problems.

Wondering if it shipped yet?

Willbird
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I had two back when I was a teenager, but I quickly discovered their "feel" is like mashing a dog turd. They have no "feel" compared to a quality priming tool. So I threw them in a box where they have been for 30 years, and will be until I die probably. I generally use the little rcbs priming press.

Bill

oldhickory
03-25-2009, 10:45 AM
I break the handle on mine every couple of years, no big deal as I keep an extra handy. I' ve tried the RCBS model with the tray, now someone else owns it...I'll stick with the LEE.:-D

georgewxxx
03-25-2009, 12:01 PM
http://leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/1002.jpg

This is the part that breaks for me only when I try to manhandle CCI primers in. New brass can sometimes be a little tighter too, so on occasion when a bunch cases need a Little more
snort to get the primers bottomed out, I use my slow Co-Ax press mounted priming tool.

I've got 4 of those priming Lee tools and one RCBS. The Lee's have always been my first choice. While placing a order at Lee's, I had them include 4 extra priming leavers at $2. each. Over the last 30 some years of using a couple different kinds of Lee's priming tools I've broken at least 5. That's after the tools all been lubricated too....Geo

Willbird
03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Green Frog Said "I would like to see Lee or somebody take the basic design of the old priming tool or the newer auto prime and make it out of quality materials. Then you could buy it once and use it virtually forever. I guess Lee sees the reloading market as a bunch of tightwads that won't spend money on quality"

If they made one that lasted forever, they wouldn't be making them too long. Everybody that wanted one would have one and the demand would dry up. Probably

There are some quality units out there, and they take rcbs shell holders.

Bill

GrizzLeeBear
03-26-2009, 10:49 AM
How on earth does anyone tolerate the slowness of priming on a press!!!???

I hear ya there. Thats why I like the Autoprime II for stuff I am not priming on the turret or progressive press.
I use the Autoprime II on the press for new brass or brass that has already been sized/deprimed. Works just as fast as a hand primer cause of the feed tray (like on the hand primer). I like it so much I got rid of my hand primer years ago.