PDA

View Full Version : Any feedback on Fluid Film?

Dano50
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Just wondering.

leftiye
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Huh? Wazzat?

waksupi
03-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Like a head on a beer? Or that layer on top of the gravy? Someone pulling a leg?

Phil
03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Yes! And thank you for sending the sample. I've tried it on several things gun and otherwise around the house and it's a great lube, and I expect a great preservative. I'm gonna get a big can of it next week for sure. I did put some in an old barrel, the bore of which was still good, and put it in the garage. I plan on checking it from time to time but from what a couple of chums have said I expect no rust or corrosion. Never would have known about it if it hadn't been mentioned here. Then, turns out that two of my shooting chums have been using it for a while. They have high praise for it. That's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Phil

obssd1958
03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/recreation/index.html

a link to the site along with praise from our own NewEnglandCharters!

03-19-2009, 11:06 PM
I like it. Seems very good at stopping rust.

carpetman
03-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Probably work great for underwater pictures.

Dano50
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Any more feedback concerning the product? We'd like to push it more to this market.

uncle joe
04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Any more feedback concerning the product? We'd like to push it more to this market.

need more samples :mrgreen:

mikenbarb
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
I never heard of it, Got any samples to try out? I got lots of guns in long term storage.

Lucky Joe
04-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I too am in the dark.

hornsurgeon
04-08-2009, 08:39 PM
a sample would be great.

04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd love a sample, but I already use the stuff. I get it at the local John Deere dealer. Expensive, $9 a can or so. Well worth it. Outstanding rust protection. A little goes a long way. Like it so much and see the advantage to it so much, I got off the cost of two more cans just to give to friends. I will be buying more

waco
04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
we use it at work(we build farm equipment)
i can get the stuff by the case if i want to
works well

mwohlenhaus
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
it is great stuff, that is all I have used to protect my guns for the last 16 yrs. My dad works at a john deere dealer so he gets a good deal on it and keeps me in supply. I rub my duck gun stock down with it every cleaning, along with a dab on a cue-tip for lubrication on moving parts. The only gun I don't use it on is my service glock, I follow recommended oiling procedure for that.

Lee
04-09-2009, 01:25 AM
OK, I'll bite, and even play the devils advocate. No flames please!

Every 3-6-9 months/2 years this new and improved miracle "Sham-Wow" stuff comes along. Guaranteed to clean your nose, clean your toes, polish your hoes.
Last time it was "Rem-Oil" Last time before that it was "CLP"
.................................. Flame On!! guys................

Dano50
04-09-2009, 12:09 PM
OK, if you haven't tried it, just send me a PM. We are waiting for a new batch of samples to arrive, but when they do I will get samples out to everyone who requests one. Please don't ask for one if you've already tried it. It gets pretty expensive to ship.

Thanks!

Dan

Dano50
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
OK, if you haven't tried it, just send me a PM. We are waiting for a new batch of samples to arrive, but when they do I will get samples out to everyone who requests one. Please don't ask for one if you've already tried it. It gets pretty expensive to ship.

Thanks!

Dan

WickedGoodOutdoors
04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey DanO:

I just set up an old Dillon Square Deal press and used a squirt of the Fluid Film to luberacate the brass cartiges for sizing and coated a bunch of cast Boolits with it for Boolit lube.

Works slick! Makes the reloading press easy enough for my kid to make his own reloads.

I have been using it all winter on my Black Powred Muzzloader as a Maxiball lube and round ball patch lubracant. I get double duty from my lint free cotten cloths as I wipe down the guns with Fluid Film and then when Im fininshed I cut the cloth up into Bullet Patches.

If you offered felt wads precut to .36 cal and .44 can and .50 cal & .54 cal in various thickness saturated with fluid film I bet you would have a good market for Black Powder shooters. Yea you can even do .69 cal for Reinactors of Military frontstuffers.

But dont let the guys in Idaho know about using Fluid Film for catching Lobster. Thanks my secreat.

Capt Walt

Newenglandcharters@maine.rr.com

PS: Works great on felt drag washers of fishing reels also.:drinks:

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/Newenglandcharters/fluidfilm1.jpg

mikenbarb
04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Dano, You have a PM and I will post my results as soon as I get the sample to try out on the LOTS of stuff I have that needs it. Thank you.

Dano50
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Cool! If you post a pic using a regular sized can like Capt Walt, I'll send you a free Fluid Film T-Shirt!

waco
04-09-2009, 08:50 PM
how well do you think it would work to coat my lyman and RCBS molds with?
i keep them out in the shop, and here in the great pacific NW.....we get a little rain from time to time![smilie=1:

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 10:31 PM
From time to time. Would that be like from 12:00 in the early morning until
12:00 midnight? Every day. ;-)

But it's a LIGHT rain - kinda like the DRY heat in Phoenix, only the opposite. HA! :-)

Bill

Char-Gar
04-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I would like to try it, but no need to send a free sample. Where I would buy this stuff locally? What kind of place would likely stock it?

mwohlenhaus
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
almost any John deere dealer would have it. otherwise I don't know

waco
04-10-2009, 08:18 PM
but do you think it is safe to use on you molds???

Jon
04-11-2009, 05:56 PM
It should be fine to use on molds. It's just lanolin in a can. It smells a little funny, but it is pretty good at protecting against rust.

Here's the FAQ:

http://www.fluid-film.com/faq.html

Dano50
04-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Fluid Film should be find on molds. If you'd like to find your closest dealer, just visit this link. (http://www.fluid-film.com/shop/index.html)

testhop
04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
i use it and love it all my moulds are coated with fluid fkim a little goes a long way.
and the navy uses it on deck of ships
s o it will stand up to wet ' to clean it the same as a new mould i boil the mould in simple green and water then break fluid dry and start to cast.

Farmall 1066
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
An Allis-Chalmers dealer I worked at back 1991-1995, we had a traveling salesman come around and sell us some, in 1993 (the year of the FLOOD here). The boss and I decided to test his claim of rust protection, spraying some on the outside of our shop, along with a few other products. The shop folded, and the building became a body shop. I went there last week to get an estimate on my truck, and the "F" we sprayed there was still visible, after 16 Nebraska summers and winters. I have been using it on my guns, and many other things since!!
Andy

Phil
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
I finally got all the waxy preservative off my lathe, bought a can of Fluid Film and sprayed it on a rag. Wiped the shiney bits down and I don't have to worry about rust. Pretty slick.

Cheers,

Phil

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/twoprops/keepitlookingnew.jpg

mikenbarb
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Dano, Got the sample and I do have to say that its the best lube I have used on my guns and I will be ordering some more real soon. Its real good stuff and it stuck to anything I sprayed with it and left no crappy stuff to collect dust or dirt. I think I found a new gun oil plus lots of other stuff I can use it on. All my guns are gonna be sprayed down with it this week. Thanks much!
PS- If you need a reference put me down!

waksupi
04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Got mine, Dano. I will be giving it a test run as soon as time permits. Thanks!

Storydude
04-29-2009, 07:29 AM
As did I. EXCELLENT STUFF. I'm going to find a JD dealer today and buy the big can.

Dano50
04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback! Phil, I'll send you a PM regarding the shirt.

If anyone wants to send me a testimonial on Fluid Film's performance, I'll send them a shirt for the trouble!

scrapcan
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Dano50,

Mine sample came also. I have not had a chance to try it out but will let you know how it goes.

testhop
05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
i use it and think it is greata little gos a long way .
but REMEMBER it has petroleumin it sodont put in blackpowder barrles on the out side it works fine to pervent rust but in side it is a no-no

testhop
05-09-2009, 11:09 PM
i use it and think it is greata little gos a long way .
but REMEMBER it has petroleumin it sodont put in blackpowder barrel on the out side it works fine to pervent rust but in side it is a no-no
it protects moulds from rust too

Lee
05-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Got my sample. No time to try it yet. But I will!!!.................LEE

waksupi
05-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I did give it an initial test run. The area I camped at last weekend, had heavy morning dews, and rain one night. I had coated one of my fowlers with the Fluid Film, and wiped down the other with Ed's Red. When I got home and removed them from the cases, the Ed's Red one had some light surface rusting in places. The Fluid Film firearm was rust free.

Works good.

legend
05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
i recieved my sample,THANK YOU DANO!

i took apart my ponsness warren p-200,cleaned it well with solvents,and then lubed it all with fluid film,reassembled and loaded 200 41 magnums with it.
this stuff is great!this machine never worked this smooth before,no matter what i had used.

i believe i will do my dillon 550 next!

im going to love this....

many thanks

John Boy
05-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Rust Prevention Test: Eezox v Fluid Film (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47910&highlight=Eezox)

The May picture is nearly due and will be posted. Am leaving for a week of shooting 1000yds and silhouettes on Monday

And here's the original Eezox test ...
Eezox Rust Prevention Test - 9 Months (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5457.0)

waksupi
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Question, Dan.
I see on the web page, that this stuff will loosen rust. What is this going to do to my rust blued barrel? Or any browned barrels, for that matter?

RugerFan
05-11-2009, 12:52 AM
I did give it an initial test run. The area I camped at last weekend, had heavy morning dews, and rain one night. I had coated one of my fowlers with the Fluid Film, and wiped down the other with Ed's Red. When I got home and removed them from the cases, the Ed's Red one had some light surface rusting in places. The Fluid Film firearm was rust free.

Works good.

Does your batch of Ed's Red have lanolin in it?

waksupi
05-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Does your batch of Ed's Red have lanolin in it?

No, no lanolin in my Ed's Red, and that is most likely the reason.

Dano50
05-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Question, Dan.
I see on the web page, that this stuff will loosen rust. What is this going to do to my rust blued barrel? Or any browned barrels, for that matter?

Fluid Film will not affect bluing. Nothing to worry about there.

hiram
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Dano--
Thank you for the sample. I've been trying it around and so far I like it the best on car door hinges. I have a van and the sliding doors slide very well. It also worked well on exterior hinges in my garden shed.

jeff423
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Is is any different than Dillon's case lube? It's lanolin and alcohol.

KY_Camper
05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I just saw this. I have to pick up some parts at the local John Deere place Wednesday and will pick up a can.

Dano50
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey, I am looking for some testimonials for our website. If you'd be willing to give one, just email it to me at dan@fluid-film.com. If you give me your contact info, I'll send you out a Fluid Film shirt or hat for the trouble.

stubshaft
05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Dano,

Just received my sample of fluid film. Will let you know in a couple of weeks how well it prevents rust. I can tell you that it wirks great as a lubricant as I used it to lube the moving parts in my CH MKIV progressive press and it works more smoothly than ever.

Mahalo,

Joe

John Boy
05-18-2009, 06:23 PM
May Results is Posted ... Rust Prevention Test: Eezox v Fluid Film (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47910&highlight=Eezox)

oltimer2
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Dano,

Recieved the sample can of Fluid Film today. Will try it on boat and guns this week. Thanks Dan

Doc Highwall
05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I went to the EASTEC manufacturing show today in West Springfield MA I got lucky not once but twice. First I was looking at the different CNC equipment with a friend of mine and I came across the Fluid Film man and talked with him and mentioned Cast Boolits and he said I know that site. Long story short, he gave me a can to try, nice guy. The second time I got lucky is last year attending the show I saw a booth that did metal analysis with a hand held unit and I mentioned to the person about shooting cast boolits and wish I had known about it and brought a sample. The good news is I brought a sample today of my indoor 22lr range lead from traps, and he was there today and did an analysis of it. Si 2.61, Sb .788, Pd .003, Pb 93.53, Cu .160, and P 1.88 and a few other things of very small amounts. The name of the company is Thermo Scientfic - NITON XRF Analyzers

Dano50
05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
May Results is Posted ... Rust Prevention Test: Eezox v Fluid Film (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47910&highlight=Eezox)

Hey, sorry about the late reply. I've been out of town at that tradeshow. Just shoot me a PM with your contact info and let me know if you'd like a shirt or hat. If you'd like a shirt, just give me your shirt size. :mrgreen:

mold maker
05-27-2009, 12:16 PM
It's great as a lube. I sat several buckets (sprayed with FF) in the scenic creek across my basement floor. No rust yet, and it's still raining. This is the wettest Spring I can remember. I couldn't plant flowers, but I can almost swim in the basement.