PDA

View Full Version : Universal Decapping Die

ddeaton
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Is this just a bored out die with a ID dimension large enough to accommodate any caliber? I have a Lee on order and am getting tired of waiting on it and thinking of making my own from an old non carbide sizing, decapping die.

billyb
03-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, good discreption.

BPCR Bill
03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
That's pretty much what it is. The Lee has a slip collet that won't allow pin breakage, so it's a very nice unit. The Lee can de-prime crimped in primers as well. You won't have that feature with a home made unit.

Regards,
Bill

Ken 45LC
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I've used the RCBS on multiple range pick-ups and broke the de-cap pin several times, and even bent the rod once. Of course one call to RCBS and they sent me new pins and a rod. The Lee has held up a little better, I haven't had to replace anything on it yet. Multiple IDPA match pick ups and not one problem. I'm not a big Lee fan, but I have no complaints on this item. Yes it appears to be an oversized sizing die, but at this point I don't care what it is.

Hope this helps,

Ken

mooman76
03-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Yes basically what you said with a decaping rod small enough to accomiadte small calibers. I have used mine a lot. It's great for a backup in case you break the decapping pin on another die set. I have broken my pin a couple times. They don't brake easy. Both tomes I broke them not paying attention and trying to decap a berdan primed brass. Usually it won't break, it will just push the pin up but I got tired of it going up and having to reset it so I cranked the nut down so it wouldn't slide up so easy.

anachronism
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Depending on caliber, you might be able to conjure one up from what you have on hand. I would think that a 45-70 sizing die, with a .223 decapping stem from the same mfg as the dies would service a lot of different calibers. Just make sure the die body is much larger than the case you want to decap, and that the decapper is much smaller than said caliber.

shotman
03-21-2009, 02:36 AM
the heavy duty that RCBS has is the best I have found. The pin is spring loaded so it dont break. The problem is the primer is like a bullet they fly everywhere. I have found them 30 ft away. shotman

largom
03-21-2009, 07:03 AM
I deprime everything with my RCBS universal deprime die, has a permanent location on my turret press. Broke one pin on a berdan primer once in over 25 yrs. usage.
Larry

HABCAN
03-21-2009, 08:45 AM
The LEE Universal Decapper and Universal Case Mouth Flaring Tool have permanent places in my setup. Wish they'd been available decades ago!

slimpickins
03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Anybody use the lyman universal decapper? I picked one up in a deal i made on some equipment awhile back and since ive been mainly on a couple of calibers havent had a need to use it. Is it very heavy duty or is it prone to breaking pins.

Firebird
03-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I have the Lyman, and have never had a problem with it or broken a pin. But most of my reloading is pistol calibers (45 ACP, 41 Magnum) with occasional 45/70 & 30/40 Krag so I've never really stressed it at all.

Bret4207
03-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I have the RCBS. Bought it brand new and at full retail at Gander. BIG MISTAKE! It doesn't work worth a crap. You have to guide the pin into every primer hole. I've broken at least 10 pins as I'm on my third pack of special order "Tee" headed decapping pins. I'm very disappointed.

square butte
03-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Whew - Saved by the bell . Was just about to order an RCBS. Looks like i'll give the LEE a try.

Lloyd Smale
03-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I just use my lee 4570 sizer die for a universal decapping die.

The Dove
03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I have and use the RCBS Universal Decap Die and it is great. I have done thousands of depriming with no problems. Bret, I did snap a pin or 2 when I first got it but a man on another site got me thru it. I'll post his advice if I can find it.

The Dove

The Dove
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Here it is I think:

Just bought one (RCBS Universal De-Capping Die) and have bent/broke two pins and still on the first case. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? KRAP!!!

The Dove

Berdan primed brass?

Or, loosen the lock screw and feel around till you find the Boxer primer hole, then screw it on down far enough to knock out the primer.

Then, tighten the lock-nut with it centered in the flash-hole.

The main thing in setting the die up is to place a de-primed shell in the shell holder, run the ram to get the pin into the empty flash hole, then tighten the lock nut. Just my experience with the RCBS die. Also, make sure the pin is set just enough to de-cap... If it is set too long you are gonna have problems. Hope this helps.

The Dove

sig2009
03-29-2009, 07:17 PM
I just got through decapping 3000 .223 LC brass with the Lee Universal Decapper. Best $8 I have ever spent!!!!!!!!!!

mtgrs737
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Bret4207,

Past time to dump that RCBS dog on ebay and get yourself a Lee!

wiljen
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Don't ask me how I know but you can break the pin on the Lee Decapping Die, twice.

Russ in WY
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Both have worked fine from the Start. The only reason I have" two" is that I got into the 20 Cal game for Pd's & the standard die is for 22 cal & upward. To those who have a problem that is a real surprise. Either yours is [Yellow} lemon or not set up correctly, but what ever works for one reloader is not always gonna work for the next guy. My 2¢. Russ.

troy_mclure
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
i got a rcbs universal decaping die, it barely fits in my .204, but it works fine on the 7mm, and 45/70.