PDA

View Full Version : Winny 92 SRC 44-40

missionary5155
03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
I make weekly trips to the 3 gunshops here in Arequipa. My main reason is to encourage them to read the Bible. But I am also a shooter and this is where we connect. They KNOW my interest in lever actions and revolvers but leveractions are RARE down here. I bought my first 44-40 about 10 years ago. It was made in 1893 and was a bit muzzle worn so I had to remove 2 " to get it to shoot.
Last week I was in the one shop and there in the rack was a Winny SRC. It has been a while since I saw one. RUSTY inside (-1) and somewhat on the outside. I checked it over and it is a 44-40. I stuck my little finger in the muzzle and could just feel the tiniest bit of rifling (+1). Working the action was like prying nails. (-1) The stocks are worn.. the rear cracked (-1). Someone had it reblued over the minor pits and scratches (-1) . Serial # is worn off at the center but it is a 41xx07 old pre- 64(+1). Minor bend in the lever on bottom (-1).
So I added it all up and that is a negative rifle. Ammo VERY expensive here ($2.50 a cartrige). I already have one that shoots real good (after amputation).
So I asked the only question I had ... " How Much" ? $200 was the response. Owner tried to sell it fort a long time and NO one is interested (+5) . So I offered $180. Returned two days later with $200 in my pocket. Final price was $190 happily paid and the rifle is HOME.
I cleaned it out discovered one broken/repaired sring on the shell stop. It cycles much better but still stiff. I took all 13 cartriges I had to my little range and surprisingly it shoots much better than I expected. It will clover leaf at 25 yards with my basic 44-40 load. Reset the rear sight for windage. Today I may get back to shoot at 50 yards.
The rifle on top is the NEW one. So maybe the old one will get some slack time off and on. It just all depends on if I can get the NEW one to cycle 100% and it will group as well as the old one.

oldhickory
03-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Hey!...Looks great for $190.00! I would say you did very well.:drinks:

03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
missionary,
Always enjoy your perspectives on shooting/loading, especially down in the "deep" south. :mrgreen:

Should make us all think how much we have up here and how much we should be ever diligent in protecting what we have.

Your post about the old levers showing up down there sparked a question....
Do you ever see any of the old military/gov/police contract Winchester lever guns? One that comes to mind is the Winchester 1873 musket among others that were also sold direct on contract like the Winchester 1895s, etc.

missionary5155
03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Greetings 405
So far NO.. Most military versions are kept within military circles as they get passed down inthe family. Military officers generally follow in the steps of fathers , uncles, and the "gear" of the trade stays in the family.
The only 2 other Winnys I have seen is a 30-30 94 model that was so BAD it was only usable for a few parts. The other is a "some caliber" that was drilled out to take 9mm Lugar cartriges. It is held together with tape and wire. I also saw one Marlin 5 years ago in 357 mag. It was adescent rifle but I did not have $500 at the time to buy it. I would be VERY happy to come across any of the old Winnies or Marlins... I did see an Evans but again it was a rust wreck.
There are fellers who have "Private Collections" of very interesting items I have only heard of. I did once see a Russian Select fire pistol that had a shoulder stock. It was in a shop getting cleaned for some officer that had trained in Russia with a Spetnaz unit so he received one of the sidearms they use. It was NEET !
The ONLY US Military rifle I know for sale is a 1903 in the 500xxx serial #. The owner knows about the possible "Blowup" info. Last I heard he wants $320 and no takers. I have seen one Garand and one carbine but not for sale.

w30wcf
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
missionary5155,

Nice find! Thank you for rescuing the old Winchester and getting her back in shooting condition. :Fire:

Based on its serial number, it was made in 1907....102 years ago. :-D

You mentioned that "I took all 13 cartridges I had......". Did you mean that you have only 13 cases for reloading? If so, I would be happy to send some empty .44-40 cases to you....providing, of course, there are no laws to be broken.

Yours in Christ,
w30wcf

missionary5155
03-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Greetings w30wcf
Thanks for the offer ! That is VERY kind of you.
That is all I have for my Winny. I do have a dozen I use in my 44-40 Colt New Service. My wife bought me the New Service last Christmas (she knew I was interested in it). So that reduced my brass stash from 25 to 13 for the rifle. Then I got this "New One".
But the way the laws are here I better decline the offer. I am returning up North this May so I can bring some in with me when I return.
AGAIN THANK YOU for the offer !
Mike in Peru

w30wcf
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
missionary5155,
Glad to hear that you will be able to pick up more brass when you come stateside.:-D

Again, thank you for rescuing that vintage Winchester and making her talk once again!:Fire:

Yours in Christ,
w30wcf