PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Silhouette Single Shot

lead Foot
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Thinking of buying a new gun for 200 metre silhouette. Maybe a Thompson Contender in 30-30 or 7mm TCU I would like your thoughts on your favorites Gentleman.
Thanks.
lead Foot;
:drinks:

44man
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Get the 7 TCU, very accurate. The 30-30 is a pain to find a load with in short barrels.

Dale53
03-19-2009, 01:05 AM
44man;
I had a TC in 30/30 and it shot extremely well with cast bullets. The only problem is that it recoils a bit much. It sure did shoot, tho'. My good friend, Ron Benge (world class NRA Bullseye shooter and NMLRA National Pistol Champion) bought one after he tried mine and won a number of silhouette matches.

It was too far for me to drive to 200 yard silhouette matches so I settled on Hunter's Pistol at my home range. For that job, my choice was and is the 30 Carbine in a TC. Super accurate, legal for Hunter Pistol and shoots flat enough you don't have to change sight settings for the different ranges. I used a 170 gr bullet, a near case full of RL-7 and "went to it".

Dale53

missionary5155
03-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Good morning
I fired a 7 TCU in Illinois for 2 seasons (83-84) . Had a 10" I used for standing and production then a 14". I fired many 40 straight with the 14" barrel but I could not see the lousy 200 meter shootoff chickens well enough to win a match. Both barrrels would shoot the 120 grain like a lazer. I used the 145 grains for the rams. I knew fellers that shot the 30-30 and they liked them... but the 7tcu is just more accurate and has much less drop at 200 meters. Recoil is no more that a hot 357 mag.

44man
03-19-2009, 08:53 AM
44man;
I had a TC in 30/30 and it shot extremely well with cast bullets. The only problem is that it recoils a bit much. It sure did shoot, tho'. My good friend, Ron Benge (world class NRA Bullseye shooter and NMLRA National Pistol Champion) bought one after he tried mine and won a number of silhouette matches.

It was too far for me to drive to 200 yard silhouette matches so I settled on Hunter's Pistol at my home range. For that job, my choice was and is the 30 Carbine in a TC. Super accurate, legal for Hunter Pistol and shoots flat enough you don't have to change sight settings for the different ranges. I used a 170 gr bullet, a near case full of RL-7 and "went to it".

Dale53
I had one in 10" for production. It was accurate but took a lot of work to find a powder. I use the RCBS 308-165-Sil boolit. I did fair with it but sold it to a friend. This is the gun that we would watch the boolit head for the next ram and swing back to the one he was shooting at.
A 14" barrel would be easier to find a load. There is just too much powder capacity for short barrels so 4759 seemed to work best.
Anyway if I put a scope on it for testing, I could hit a nickel at 100 meters.
My friends 7 TCU was so much easier to work with and was deadly with a range of loads and bullets. What took me a year to do with the 30-30 took him a week with the 7 TCU.
I have the same trouble with my 10" BFR 45-70 in that only one powder works, again 4759.

James C. Snodgrass
03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm shootin' a 30 herrett in production and 30/30 in unlimited with a 155 lee and 24 and 25 grs of benchmark . You didn't specify what class you wanted to get into as far as recoil goes no clubs shoot full footed IHMSA rams any more and you don't need a cannon to compete . The only complaint that I have with 7 tcu in a factory barrel is the throat is usually a bit to long and accuracy generally suffers but if you can find one with out the deep throat your good to go . Good luck James

rockrat
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
How about an xp-100 in 7mm BR? Seen many a tiny group shot with these things. Otherwise, a 7mm TCU 14" bbl would be good. Possibly a 14" 357 Max.

dragonrider
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
You might also consider the 7-30 Waters.

GrizzLeeBear
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
The 7TCU is the most popular Production class (10" or less barrel) caliber for good reason. Easy to form brass, mild recoil with plenty of knock down power, easy to find good loads for. For us cast boolit shooters, there are several good molds available. It works equally well for Unlimited in a 14" barrel.
The 30-30 or even the 7-30 Waters can be made to work, but can be quite obnoxious in the recoil and muzzleblast department with full power loads, especially in a 10" barrel. Sometimes reduced load will work, but many times they shoot their best near full power. They can be made to work, but the 7TCU is easier to work with.

Beerd
03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I would choose either a .357 Max or a 7 TCU depending on brass availability.

You can load the Max with carbide dies.

HandgunHTR
03-19-2009, 08:11 PM
I agree with the TCU being a great choice. However, I am going to deviate on caliber a little bit. I would recommend the 6.5 TCU instead of the 7TCU. Why, because I like the 6.5 better than the 7. No other reason.

The .300 Whisper is also a good choice are any of the "Classic" cartridges that MGM chambers barrels for.

Shuz
03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I shot IHMSA Production Class for many years with a T/C in 7mmTCU. It's a great cartridge, and H-322 was my favorite powder in it. Really inexpensive to shoot due to the availability of military brass.

cbrick
03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
lead Foot, you didn't mention a price range so here's an option for you to ponder on, these are a bit more than a T/C. The BF Pistol from Eben Brown. E. Arthur Brown Company, BF Pistols & Rifles (http://www.eabco.com/) While normally a 200 meter Production/Conventional class 10” this is the only pistol (and in 10” too) that has ever shot a 40X40 on the 500 meter rifle range. Nope, not a typo . . . 500 meters. A huge variety of calibers are available in this falling block action. I had one in 7 E.T. Gates caliber and what a tack driver. Good sights and a great trigger right out of the box. This is an exceptionally well built handgun and I give it an easy 5 out of 5 stars.

Rick

lead Foot
03-20-2009, 04:15 AM
I see there is some very keen silhouette shooters out there. The 7 TCU has a lot of good thins going for it. If I get a 10" barrel I can shoot three comp's Production, standing and unlimited. I have a RCBS 7mm-145-sil and a lee c284-130-r Any thoughts on speed? I started casting boolits to save money cause the wife spent 99% of it. Now I'm addicted I got a divorced and now I can afford my habit so now I buy the best I can.:mrgreen:So the BF pistols from Eben Brown look good. At $699 they are so cheap but to get it to Australia it would cost three times more to get it here. A used T/C here goes for round $800.:( Still open for more info. Thanks guys.
lead Foot.