PDA

View Full Version : LBT lube ?

sjm
03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
How good is LBT Blue Soft, say... in a Lyman #45 for lubing 45 Colt bullets?

Thank you, Scott

44man
03-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Very good. LBT, Lar's lubes and Felix lube are all I will use.

runfiverun
03-19-2009, 12:42 AM
lbt is probably overkill for the 45 colt.
lars's red is nice for pistols in the garden loads. waaay cheaper too.

Gunslinger
03-19-2009, 08:05 AM
lbt is probably overkill for the 45 colt.
lars's red is nice for pistols in the garden loads. waaay cheaper too.

What do you mean by overkill?

I'm having 2 LBT molds made, and am considering ordering a bunch of the blue soft, as I have to pay for the shipping anyway, so I might as well fill up the boxes!

But I would very much like some feedback from those who use/have used blue LBT lube...

44man
03-19-2009, 08:10 AM
I think he means it is more expensive is all.

dubber123
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Keep in mind even the Blue Soft isn't really that soft. I always had to use a heater on my 450. It is very good lube, and I've used a bunch. The best? That probably depends on application. Cheapest? No way.

Sky King
03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I just received a batch of LBT Soft Lube for the first time too. Haven't used it yet.
Any advantage of using the LBT and then tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox?

rockrat
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I use LBT soft in one of my 450's. Never had to heat it. Even when downstairs is about 60 degrees.

dubber123
03-19-2009, 12:07 PM
I use LBT soft in one of my 450's. Never had to heat it. Even when downstairs is about 60 degrees.

Aah, one of those guys with a heated basement eh? [smilie=1:

Cherokee
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Gunslinger - LBT Blue seems to get attention more for rifle CB use from what I have observed. For pistol use, I would use Lars carnuba red for mild to wild loads, which I also use for rifle CB loads. Its also easier to handle and store bullets lubed with CR than LBT, IMHO

BABore
03-19-2009, 12:28 PM
IAny advantage of using the LBT and then tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox?

Maybe getting a personnal vist from Veral. Of course this would be short lived as he would be there to beat hell out of you for doing it.:-D

Unless your putting the LLA on a BR nose and running very HV, your wasting your time and product. Most of the better homemade and commercial lubes will hold their own with LBT in pistols. Same goes for light to moderate rifle loads and hot levergun loads. LBT is just not needed and in some cases too much for the conditions. Where it shines is in HV rifle loads. I use quite a bit of it, but very selectively. As mentioned above, you have to test lubes just like powder. You have "X" number of lube grooves and each has a capacity. The quality of the product you use is directly related to the lube capacity, velocity, pressure, bbl length, bbl condition, and ambient conditions. To just name a few.

runfiverun
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
lbt is more in line with a rifle lube a good place to start at least.
and for the cost i would think way too spensive for your revolver shooting.
also see what ba said above.

freedom475
03-19-2009, 04:49 PM
My rcbs sizer came with about 20 sticks of soft blue and it works great....no leading and No heater.