PDA

View Full Version : Iron pipe lead joints

kendall yates
03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
What is the lead from cast iron pipe joints? Is it usually pure? Thank for the help.

Gerry N.
03-18-2009, 08:33 PM
"Plumber's Lead" is as close to pure as you're likely to find. It may be a little dirty from the oakum under it in the joint, but that'll burn right off.

Gerry N.

kendall yates
03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Is the oakum like horse hair that they used for packing the join to keep it from running out?

Mk42gunner
03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I worked for a plumber in high school; and we tore out a few cast iron drains. From what I remember the oakum/packing/whatever was put in the joint prior to the molten lead, to keep it from running down the pipe.

Robert

briang
03-19-2009, 12:18 AM
From what I understand the oakum is what actually seals the joint. The lead just holds the oakum in place and when the oakum gets wet it swells and makes the seal.

JIMinPHX
03-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Poured pipe joints are usually done with dead soft, but you never know what some local plumber may have had laying around on a particular day 20 or 30 years ago. It can vary.

Pepe Ray
03-19-2009, 01:48 AM
Check with the sellers/distributors of commercial pipe. In the '70's one of them was promoting a substitute called "Leadite". NOT good for boolets. A hammer and chisel should help determine the character of your inquiry.
Pepe Ray

Hardcast416taylor
03-19-2009, 01:54 AM
For over 35 yrs. I made water/waste material flow downhill not up. We used a set of "chinking"tools specially shaped for packing the oakum into the joint before doing the lead. I must be the exception to some of the comments about the type of lead sometimes used because I only used new pure lead. Maybe that was 1 of the reasons I kept busy, honest pricing and top notch products and I kept my pants pulled up. :-D Robert