PDA

View Full Version : Locking Mold handles

R.Clem
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Anybody here use locking mold handles?

http://www.castingstuff.com/

Dale53
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I use locking mould handles from Cabine Tree with my precision Schuetzen Rifle mould. It has helped me reduce my bullet variation so that it now is +or- .2 of a grain. The locking handle applies the same pressure to the blocks when closed and insure that each bullet is the same exact diameter as the last one. This reduces variation. It seems a bit expensive, but it is industrial strong and should last forever. If you want or need precision, this is a good move.

Dale53

John Boy
03-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Recommend them highly. Been using them for 2 years. A big plus is the reduced cost for various mold handles too

GLL
03-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a set of Cabine Tree as well and agree with Dale53's comments. I use them only for a few single cavity moulds though.

They are very well made but a little on the heavy side. I find they are a bit cumbersome and must be operated two handed. They are not made for speedy production work in my opinion.

The Cabine Tree version is very much worth owning though for a few specialty operations !

Jerry

Gussy
03-18-2009, 09:39 PM
I make the holders. They are not meant to be held like a regular mould handle. Most people pour, then either set it down or rest it on something. Quite a few, like myself, use 2-3 moulds at the same time in rotation. It speeds up pouring single cavity moulds.

I have had quite a large number of shooters with hand problems buy them. It eliminates the
fatigue of squeezing the regular handles and even of just holding them. I have over 99.9% favorable feedback and many repeat customers.
Gus

GLL
03-19-2009, 12:39 AM
One of the features I really like on the Cabine Tree handles is the ability to finely adjust clamping pressure in the mould !

When you order the locking mould from Gus I would suggest you get the hardness tester at the same time. It is without any doubt the very best available and certainly bullet-proof construction!

His customer service is top notch !

Jerry

EDK
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Gussy sold me a set of his mould handles two years ago at Quigley...and a second set last year. They are on my BROOKS and KALYNUIK moulds for my SHILOH SHARPS 50/90. If I get another mould, I'll buy another set...that ought to tell you what I think of them.

First class product by a first class guy. See you at "the Q."

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-20-2009, 12:41 AM
I concur, Gussy's locking mould handles are what I use when I need to make "best quality" boolits, which is most of them. I got two sets, and look forward to picking up another set this June at The Quigley. My first set went on my 500gr 45-70 mould which has produced the boolits I used to kill both of my Bison. Besides that, he's a really nice guy to talk shop with.

Rich
Buff Killer

GLL
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
I get the feeling that others may be using Gus' locking handles just as I do for slower production of high quality bullets in single cavity moulds. I also like them for single cavity hollow point moulds. They are absolutely perfect for these applications in my opinion !

Jerry

R.Clem
03-21-2009, 11:49 PM
I am really glad to see others using these.

I bought my first ones when I went to Buffalo Arms to pick up my Sharps.
Bought another in January, and will probably buy another from Gus in the near future.

I use mine for casting those little 535 and 545gr .458 boolits, as well as changing to a couple 2 cavity pistol molds. Now this is where they really shine, I cast out 500, .401TC's and 500, .451RN in a little shy of 3 hours. They do production very well, and the reject rate for off weight is so small I now have my wife do that job. (she found 3 of the .401 that must of had foreign matter in 'em and 1 of the .451's, course the .451's are for her 45 ACP)

I do recommend these mold handles, they are the best on the market.

Oh yes, I have at least two of every other conceivable handle manufactured by the mold makers.

THESE ARE THE BEST, BAR NONE.

Dale53
04-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I have a #503 H&G two cavity mould that has been giving me some problems. After I adjusted the pin length, they (the pins) actually were a bit too long. However, they take more "rap" to move them than I would prefer. I'm a bit afraid of maybe damaging the mould. The problem is that they do not QUITE close completely. I had a brainstorm. I put the Cabine Tree handles on them and adjusted the clamping pressure to just a "touch" more than "light". Problem solved. The mould is back in action again.

I see me using these handles more and more. They are a REALLY good product.

Dale53

stubshaft
04-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Cabine Tree for me also. It has helped my production rate and insures proper closing tension.