PDA

View Full Version : Simple trick...

LeadThrower
03-18-2009, 01:40 AM
You can cut the sprue with the same hand that's holding the mould handles...

Make a stack of lead ingots and smack the sprue plate straight down on the stack. The sprues drop in a nice little pile and you don't need an extra tool at the casting table. Works like a charm!

Or, you could look fashionable for $11.50 plus shiping:kidding:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=317430

Hardcast416taylor
03-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Years ago I broke the head off my 8 oz. ball peen hammer. Been using that handle for my sprue mallet since.:castmine:Robert

hoosierlogger
03-18-2009, 06:49 AM
heck yeah then if someone were way more talented than I he could run two molds at a time. It would be a disaster If I tried that.

Bret4207
03-18-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm still using a rawhide mallet. With some moulds I push the sprue plate, with others it's a solid whack.

Dennis Eugene
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
if you strike up wards on sprue plate in stead of very slightly downwards as in to the mold blocks you will in a short time seperate the sprue plate from the top of the mold blocks. I would think that useing a mold in any way resembleing a hammer is a very risky thing to do and a good reason many of us are hesitant to loan out our favorite molds. Just a thought. Dennis

Echo
03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I have used a hammer handle, a 1" dowel about a foot long, and am presently using a plastic hammer - and will continue to do so, since it works best of the three. I try to pay close attention to striking parallel with the top of the mold, tipping the mold nose-down on the folded towel I use to catch the boolits as they drop.

LeadThrower
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Eugene,
Actually, I find that I can control the direction of the blow better when using the "stack 'o' bricks" technique. I've been doing this for quite a while and see no signs of wear to plate or mould. The forces going through the mould are the same, no matter what you use to knock open the sprue plate, so that's not a concern either.

Calling the technique "using the mould like a hammer" is overly negative. We might as well say that those using mallets are "using the mould like a nail". The description just doesn't fit.

Everyone has a favorite technique, however. I don't recommend mine over others -- it's just an option.

Catshooter
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Not a bad idea LT, I'll look into that one.

During a bad windstorm in '91 I picked up a small branch that had a divot in it. My thumb fits in it perfectly! Been using it as my sprue knocker ever since. Talk about cheap!

Cat

montana_charlie
03-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Calling the technique "using the mould like a hammer" is overly negative.
Probably true...
The phrase "smack the sprue plate straight down on the stack" was negative enough for me...but I turn the plate with my hand.
I don't even own a sprue knocker...

CM

Springfield
03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I push the sprue with my fingers with 1 and 2 cavity moulds. If you have to whack it then it has already hardened too much. IMHO.

runfiverun
03-18-2009, 06:02 PM
i use the gloved hand opening technique.
irarely use a knocker.

Russel Nash
03-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I push the sprue plate over with my gloved hand.

I was dumping the sprues into one side of a 20mm ammo can where I had a 4 inch by 4 inch metal electrical junction box under the water.

Then I was opening up the mould over the other side of the ammo can where I a had rectangular wire mesh basket.

I think I picked that up in the office supply aisle of a local Target store.

Now, I flip the plate open still with my gloved hand, but I tip the mould over so the sprue falls back into the melting pot, then I step over to the 20mm ammo can and drop the boolits into the partially submerged wire mesh basket.

This new way for me, I have found that I don't have to put fresh ingots into the mix as much. I am betting the temperature stays more consistent too.

When I am done casting I reach into the 20mm ammo can and pull out the wire mesh basket. Rotate that 90 degrees to the ammo can and tap it a few times to get rid of the excess water. Then I let the basket and boolits air dry over night.

I set my mould carefully into the top of the melt for a few minutes to let it warm up enough... then that allows me to push the sprue plate over with my gloved thumb. Maybe the first 4 drops I do have to use a brass hammer, but after that it is warmed up enough to just use my thumb.

fordwannabe
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
PERSONALLY I LIKE KNOCKERS!!!! Tom

afish4570
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Years ago I broke the head off my 8 oz. ball peen hammer. Been using that handle for my sprue mallet since.:castmine:Robert

Cut off the old chair legs to desired size and you have renewable supply at no cost.I guess by todays standards that being green (which I am not). In the old days that called "YANKEE INGENUITY'' or cheap, which is why I have what I have.afish4570:drinks::drinks:

JSnover
03-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I can think of a few simple ways to put handles on sprue plates ya don't like the glove or mallet method. Somebody around here just uses an open-end wrench.

chuebner
03-18-2009, 08:32 PM
That Midway thing looks exactly like a wooden pusher my Mom used to stuff meat into a grinder. Personally I just use my gloved hand to open the sprue cutter or sometimes when impatient I will use an old plastic screwdriver handle.

charlie

revolver junkie
03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
i used a dowel rod for along time but switched to a hard faced mallet much better once everythings u to temp 1-3 tapps and and the sprue pops right off

fj3fury
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
I keep a piece of pine 2x2 in the shed for various projects. I'll a 15" piece and use it till it gets worn out and then cut another one.

Dennis Eugene
03-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Like i said just a thought. Did not mean to cause any hard feelings, maybe using the words" useing a mold in any way resembleing a hammer" were a lil strong but that's what it sounded like to me. And I wouldn't want anyone useing one of my molds that away. Any way if I sounded like a grumpy old fart it's probley 'cause I am but all in all I ment nothing by it. And if it helps I'm sorry for ruffeling any feathers. And for what it is worth I also open my molds with my gloved hand most times and always when possible and after I'm dead and gone I hope my kids and Grandkids enjoy casting many fine boolits with my molds. Dennis