PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Size

Jetwrench
02-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Gentelmen,
This last christmas my loveing wife gave ma a 45 cal break open action Optima Magnum 1:28 twist. I would like to cast my own. Do any of you have a bullet recomendation for this gun. Bore is .453 groove is .465. Lee has a .450 and a .454 mini at 294 and 298 grns. I think I would prefer a mini design, rather than the r.e.a.l. design. I would be glad to hear any thoughts on this subject. Thanks
Jetwrench

shooter575
02-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Another maybe is the Lee 45/70 hollow base boolit.It is 400 + gr I recall? Works well with Bp in my trapdoor.

Jetwrench
02-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Shooter575,
405gr per Lee. The book that came with the gun said not to use bullets bigger than ( I think ) 325gr. I have 2 questions, would a 405gr create unsafe pressures with a 150 gr powder charge? What would be the proper dia. mini or hollow base bullet for my bore size? Thanks Jetwrench

45 2.1
02-07-2006, 01:37 PM
You will need a minie that is about 0.4515" to 0.452" in size.

StarMetal
02-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I think for that muzzler a 405 gr 45 caliber is too much a bullet for it. I also wouldn't recommend shooting a 405 gr bullet from it with 150 grs of powder. Why don't you stay within the recommended bullet weight range suggested by the manufacturer? The 45 cal muzzleloader doesn't need that heavy a bullet to perform good on game. Also it may be that's rifling twist isn't suitable for that heavy of a bullet.

Joe

felix
02-07-2006, 01:42 PM
You would want a typical 325 grainer in length with that 28 twist. ... felix

Jetwrench
02-08-2006, 12:51 AM
THANKS,
Guys your the best.
Jetwrench

versifier
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Have you considered a 240-245gr MaxiBall or a 255gr MaxiHunter? I think you should make your decision based on what your boolit rifle shoots best, and not on more subjective criteria. Try as many different boolits as you can get your hands on because every rifle is different, even two that come off of the same production line in series. Work up each one from a light charge to a heavier one, just like you would do with any centerfire gun. With me, I am most confidant with the most accurate boolit at the charge that makes it shoot best. A few hundred fps isn't going to matter to the deer - put a .45 cal hole through the boiler room and you will kill it - but that same few hundred fps MAY make the difference between a 2" group and a 6" or 8" one. That could mean the difference between a heart shot and a gut shot. Likewise the heavier boolit that you may find esthetically or intellectually more appealing may or may not stabilize properly with your rifle's rate of twist and shoot one-holers, or groups like a shotgun pattern. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't get a few and test them, because every rifle IS different and you never really know until you try. For example, I have a rb barrel for a .54 that keeps 400gr Maxi's under 2" at 100yds - it also keeps its favorite sabot loads in an inch at 150, too, but I would never have known that the heavier load was so accurate in it if I hadn't actually tried it to see what it would do.) On a related issue, the plus of pelleted loads is the convenience, but the drawback is their lack of versatility - the charge halfway between your choices might be the tack driver that you would never have known about without trying it.

shooter575
02-09-2006, 01:04 AM
A minne should be just under bore size by .001-.002 for best accuracy.I cast them oversize and size them.Most Lees cast a thin skirt.[I have not seen the .45 moulds you mention] Drawback on that is too hot of a load may blow out a skirt .I know on a buddys Scout carbine we used the .50 Lee target wadcutter [ashcan] with 90 gr of ff with good results.Three pellets I think will be too much.I also dislike pellets. Another thing you might try is a flat based bullet to just slide down the bore.Lube the sides to hold her on the charge.With a stout load bullet should obturate to fill grooves As Versifier said "try them all" Never know what will work in your gun.They are all diffrent.

Jetwrench
02-09-2006, 06:25 PM
OK,
Here is the plan. Get away from the really cool really costly powerbelt bullets. Get a mini and try to get it to shoot, more shots before cleaning. Get a real heavy bullet (400-450gr) and see if it will shoot. Get a round ball and lite load it and see if it will shoot. Will try it with black powder because I have never shot black. Will try loose BP subs, pellets are leaving lots of hard fouling in the barrel. So far I have shot it with the powerbelts and 230gr 45 pistol bullets. Checked the book and it said not to use a saboted bullet heavier than 300gr. I want to try 357 and 40 cal pistol bullets in sabots. I want to find a peep for it. I really like this gun. Side note; dont shoot a 3/16 in thick steel gong with a 3 pellets and a 230gr pistol bullet, makes a 5/8 in or so hole in the plate. More later . Jetwrench

shooter575
02-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Jetwrench,looks like a plan to me! You must be ...4-5% there allready <G> Ain't ya glad you asked us for help.Remember to report back.

versifier
02-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Jet, you can't beat a peep sight for deer hunting under 150yds, at least until you need tricyclefocals to see through. (I'm just on the edge now that I finally have all my hunting rifles wearing them.) Use the insert to sight in, then put it in your range box. With the resulting "ghost ring" sight picture you can keep both eyes open - this lets you keep your depth perception and helps to track moving targets. A good wide flat front post helps when the light is low - like the sight picture of a Garand without the wings. Skinny posts with ball tops are fine for sunny afternoons on the range, but when you're in and out of thick cover they get lost easily in the shadows. Paint up the face of the post with nail polish for the conditions, black, orange, or white.

Jetwrench
03-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Fellas,
I just got back from Baytown Tx. Now I have to go to Las Vegas for at least 10 days. Hope to get some moulds orded when I get back. All this work is putting dents in my fun. Just a small question so that I have a well thought out plan for this evolution. If you have a thin skirt mini and are blowing the skirts can you add tin or ww to solve the problem? tia Jetwrench