PDA

View Full Version : Herters U9

Doc_Stihl
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyone have an opinion on the Herters U9 Action/Rifles?

Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

I'm not sure, but from what a few "gun guys" around here have told me that back in the day you could buy the actions from herters catalog, had one person tell me that's the only way they came, couldn't get an assembled/barreled rifle????

Were all the U9's built by BSA?

Any help would be appreciated.

FWAddit
03-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes, U9s were built by BSA; I don't think that action was ever made up by anyone else.

Herter's catalogs from the '60s listed barreled actions and finished rifles in both U9 and J9 (Mauser-action) models. I considered both options when I was in the market for a barreled action in 1967, but finally settled on a Remington ADL.

felix
03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
My dad had one, my bro, Jerry, has it now, a Herter's 243 with the BSA action. Excellent gun. Excellent action. Every bit as good as any during that time period. ... felix

Bret4207
03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
I believe Frank DeHass has a section on the U9 in "Bolt Action Rifles".

Terrier
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I built a .270 on a U9 barreled action in the late 60's. Very well constructed and shot 3/4"-1" with factory stuff. Herters had a lot of good stuff (and some junk) at very good prices. Those were the days, anyone could mail order long guns.
Terrier

Doc_Stihl
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I picked up a U9 in 458 Win Mag. Shot it a bit and then started debating going to a marlin guide gun. I haven't sat down to really dial it in (trying to avoid falling in love with it). The adjustable trigger and decent wood are real highlights, I guess I'll have to put some time into it now that I've got a idea that they're a decent base gun.