PDA

View Full Version : Any info on a Virginian Dragoon?

TDC
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Can anyone give me their thoughts on an Interarms Virginian Dragoon? I've acquired a new in the box 7 1/2 44 mag in stainless. Any idea of a "ball park" value?

I'd also like to find some Pachmayr's for it if anyone knows where they could be found.... I've attempted to find them through the WTB section of this board without success..

Thanks!!

Heavy lead
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Don't know what it is worth, but I'm envious. First 44 I owned is what you have, and I sold it. Hope you like it. As far as after market grips, I haven't a clue.
Good Luck.

MtGun44
03-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Used to be German made and real good quality, but my last contact with
my friend's Dragoon was years ago and things change in the gun
biz.

Bill

TDC
03-17-2009, 03:48 AM
This one was apparently made in Virginia by Interarms. The fit and finish is quite good and the frame appears stronger than a SBH. I don't care much for a SAA Army type grip and if I can't find Pachmayr or Hogue type grips for it I'll probably sell it. I saw two similar guns, used but blued in GunBroker, both asking $400. Just curious...

oldhickory
03-17-2009, 04:26 AM
They are in fact one of the best single action revolvers out there, I've never had a stainless, mine was .45 Colt Blue with a 7 1/2" barrel...That was many years ago. I rather like the "plow-handle" grips on single actions, they just roll up in your hand in recoil. There's a place in Texas that specilizes in grips, AJAX!...That's it, they supplied me with Pachmyer grips for my Colt New Service, I'll bet they have em for your Virginian Dragoon!:drinks:

NuJudge
03-17-2009, 06:39 AM
I have a stainless and a blue/casehardened one. I have a set of Pachmayr rubber and a set of Herrett wood grips. Herrett could still probably make you a set.

My Stainless split its forcing cone awhile ago, and I have to get it in to get the barrel replaced.

The guns were originally made by the Swiss at Hammerli, then at a now-closed facility in Virginia. They were made in a variety of barrel lengths.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I had one way back then and it was a good gun. About on par with a super blackhawk for strenght and for fit and finish. Surprisingly theres not much collector interest in them and they dont command a real high price. About the same as a super in price too. Grips are going to be a custom made deal for you and expensive. Might be a good time to get a block of wood and start wittling!

TDC
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I've tried all the major grip makers, including Ajax. Ajax makes custom grips but they are in a style much like those currently on the gun. Pachmayr apparently made grips for this gun for several years until it went out of production in the seventies. The response today from Pachmayr customer service was "what's a Virginia Dragoon...":-D

My only hope for rubber target grips is to find a used set. Herrett's is one of the few places I haven't checked so I'll investigate their site today. The gun is just too nice to give up on.

Now.... If I could just talk NuJudge out of his???

oldhickory
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I've tried all the major grip makers, including Ajax. Ajax makes custom grips but they are in a style much like those currently on the gun. Pachmayr apparently made grips for this gun for several years until it went out of production in the seventies. The response today from Pachmayr customer service was "what's a Virginia Dragoon...":-D

My only hope for rubber target grips is to find a used set. Herrett's is one of the few places I haven't checked so I'll investigate their site today. The gun is just too nice to give up on.

Now.... If I could just talk NuJudge out of his???

Well, maybe if you ask NuJudge he might get the model number for you off his and you can shop for them that way, they may fit more than just one model, maybe even something in current production...

TDC
03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Old Hickory, Lloyd Smale and NuJudge...

I've checked the fit of Ruger Blackhawks and SBH, Colt SAA and various clones of all types. The grip frame on the Dragoon is wider then even the SBH and nothing available could be modified to fit.

The middle finger of my right hand has been so beaten up by the recoiling trigger guard of my 29's through the years that my second joint no longer bends. I need Pachmayr type grips on all my handguns to fill the gap between the trigger guard and the grips or the recoil pain with hot and heavy loads can be unbearable.

Jeffery8mm
03-20-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf
This is a good read on the dragoon
mine is the Yorktown 44 mag

I have that same stainless revolver. Built like a tank and fun to shoot!!! From mild to wild it takes it all. Although my wild is really sorta mild:mrgreen:
Love mine!! It has old west appeal to me!!!
Jeff

TDC
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Yep, Jeffery8mm.... This is the identical pistol with the "Yorktown" stamped on the bottom of the grip frame. I haven't heard a single negative comment about this gun.... in fact, everyone who owns or owned one gives a glowing report on their quality and strength.

Apparently, Pachmayr made grips for this gun for the four or five years of the guns production life. They haven't been produced for over twenty years so my only option will be to find someone who still has these grips sitting around somewhere... I appreciate the replies and I'm still lookin'....

oldhickory
03-20-2009, 01:59 PM
I'll try to keep it in the back of my mind in my travels, I often come across boxes of "treasure" stuffed away in nooks and crannies. If I find a pair, I'll grab em!

Freightman
03-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Had a blue 44 mag went crazy and sold it to get a FAL wish the man who bought it had the FAL and I had the dragoon

TDC
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Had a blue 44 mag went crazy and sold it to get a FAL wish the man who bought it had the FAL and I had the dragoon

Been there..... done that..... :-)

idahoron
03-25-2009, 10:41 PM
I had a matching set of Stainless steel 44 mags. Both had Pachmyer grips. I sold one of them and I wish I still had it. I still have one that says liberty forever on the base of the grip. The inside of the pachmyer grips say "Interarms Virginia dragoon 1"
There was a story on these guns in the 1986 guns and ammo "single action revolvers" magazine. It was written by Bob Milek. In his story he liked them and really liked them because they were "massive revolvers considerably larger than colt single actions"
Mine shoots a 300 gr Hornady XTP amazingly accurate. It is sighted in for 100 yards and I have killed a couple of deer with it. I have shot the heads off so many fool hens I could never count them all. This pistol is a great value, I got mine new for 289.00 back in 1986. Mine is my go to gun for protecting my family, and for a short range hunting gun. I can’t say anything bad about mine. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/44mag.jpg

TDC
03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I had a matching set of Stainless steel 44 mags. Both had Pachmyer grips. I sold one of them and I wish I still had it. I still have one that says liberty forever on the base of the grip. The inside of the pachmyer grips say "Interarms Virginia dragoon 1"
There was a story on these guns in the 1986 guns and ammo "single action revolvers" magazine. It was written by Bob Milek. In his story he liked them and really liked them because they were "massive revolvers considerably larger than colt single actions"
Mine shoots a 300 gr Hornady XTP amazingly accurate. It is sighted in for 100 yards and I have killed a couple of deer with it. I have shot the heads off so many fool hens I could never count them all. This pistol is a great value, I got mine new for 289.00 back in 1986. Mine is my go to gun for protecting my family, and for a short range hunting gun. I can’t say anything bad about mine. Ron

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/idahoron/44mag.jpg

Great picture, idahoron,

Those grips are exactly what I need... I wish there was something I had to trade you out of them... I not only want them but I need them to be able to shoot mine. Someone out there has gotta have a set they no longer want......

idahoron
03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
They are great for helping to control the recoil of those heavy loads. Ron

Buffaler Huntin
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
For what is worht, if you want something like the grips on the Magnum research guns, try getting some used BFR grips. Just a thought.

Trey45
07-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I bought mine from a good friend who goes through guns like some people go through water. When he buys something I like, I just bide my time and eventually he sells it. Got this one for $200. As for genuine worth? I would guess in the $350- $400 range?Mine is the 1976 "We the people" edition.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/VirginianDragoon44Magnum.jpg