PDA

View Full Version : Ballsitol

RegCom7
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I know Ballistol is good for cleaning blackpowder. But is it also just as good for cleaning smokeless guns? If I understand correctly, Ballistol is mostly mineral oil. But aren't most gun oils basically mineral oil? Is there much difference? I've recently started handloading .45 Colt with blackpowder, for my New Vaquero. I also use an Uberti 1851 Navy .36.

JeffinNZ
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Plain old water with a splash of soap/detergent is all you need for cleaning BP. BP fouling is VERY water soluble. Lots of folk use Ballistol and I like it for preseving the BP rifles but I clean with cold water containing a metric splash of Murphy Oil Soap.

NickSS
03-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I generally clean my BP breachloaders with ballistol and water solution. I do this because the oil in Balistol displaces the water and leaves a coating on the metal. This way I do not have to pull the breach block every time I shoot one of my BPCRs. I use plain water and a little soap (if I have it)to clean all my ML weapons. Been doing it that way for over 45 years and have yet to have rust or damage a rifle. My favorite ML is 35 years old and has thousands of balls through it and it still shoots like new.

cajun shooter
03-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Regcom7, Ballistol mixed - 2oz to 14 oz of water cleans all my CAS guns very quick and easy. It to me is better than plain water because of the water soluable oil in the mix. In BP circles this is known as moosemilk. You might want to look at Eezox for your guns after cleaning. It's a lube and prevents rust like no other product made. Check out the test by John Boy on this forum. I spray my revolvers down with moosemilk and let them set while cleaning my rifle and shotgun. The fouling just wipes off. Later David

Boz330
03-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Plain old water with a splash of soap/detergent is all you need for cleaning BP. BP fouling is VERY water soluble. Lots of folk use Ballistol and I like it for preseving the BP rifles but I clean with cold water containing a metric splash of Murphy Oil Soap.

Metric splash? Is that like my metric adjustable wrench, Jeff?[smilie=1:

Bob

JeffinNZ
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
It's a proper technical term you know. Much like a "slug" of detergent, a "poltice" of bullets, a "fair old step" in distance and not to forget the legendary and horrible accurate thumb nail test for lead alloy. :-D :roll:[smilie=1:

RegCom7
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! And I'll look into getting some eezox too.