PDA

View Full Version : New guy question-

riarcher
03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Getting started loading for my Ruger Semi 9 mil.
Looking at the Lee 124 gr. truncated cone Tumble bullet.
Never used the liquid Alox before.
I'm wondering about the simple cast to .356 mold and liquid lude working without sizing.
Does it really work well? Probably not the best, but I'm looking for a low cost(?) plinking and fun target round in a Ruger P89. (not a competition round by any means)

My gut feeling is to go with .357/.358 and size.
Most all the molds I've had in the past always seemed to be undersized from the molds. With an undersized .356 I'm concerned with leading.
I'll be looking for a mild load but still with plenty of thump to make the action work consistanty.

Should I be concerned with the liquid and .356 sized Lee mold? :confused:

Planning on using the WW I have on hand.

mooman76
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't be too overly concerned. They are usually pretty close and there are things you can do to fudge a little if you have to.

snaggdit
03-17-2009, 01:22 AM
I use a Lee 125gr @r at 356 in my 9mms with NO sizing and I tumble lube the lube groove boolit. No leading after hundreds of rounds. I just grabbed one from the can and calipered it. .3575 as dropped with WW. Don't let it concern you. Should work fine. If you go with the .358 you will probably drop over and will have to size for sure. Extra work.

Echo
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Welcome, riarcher, to the madhouse. Best forum on the net. The answer to ALL your questions are here. If they deal with boolit casting or somesuch, they will be good answers. If dealing with sex, education, finance, motorcycles, house painting, or somesuch - you can take those answers to the bank, too. Sometimes.

riarcher
03-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I use a Lee 125gr @r at 356 in my 9mms with NO sizing and I tumble lube the lube groove boolit. No leading after hundreds of rounds. I just grabbed one from the can and calipered it. .3575 as dropped with WW. Don't let it concern you. Should work fine. If you go with the .358 you will probably drop over and will have to size for sure. Extra work.

Thanks, I'll be ordering the mold / lube soon.
Always went with the solid Alox and felt it to be a PIA. The liquid I've been itching to try so the time is now.
Surprised to hear the mold is dropping at +.0015 though. you saved me from a big mistake I think. Thanks. .358 sounds like too much.

Moonman-
Seems my whole life lately is "fudged!" (think I got some on me)

Echo-
Being new here, I spent hours last night and a few days before going back over some old post. I've casted .357 / .38, .45, .45-70, and muzzle loading stuff...
... thought I had it down fairly well.
I learned, picked up more ideas, found interesting quirks more these last few days than in about 20 yrs. time.
[B]EXCELLENT Site![B]

Now if I can only find some sm. pistol primers.......... :roll:

Thanks guys.
Gary