PDA

View Full Version : 9mm lube results

tomf52
03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Some interesting observations about lube in the 9mm today. The gun is relatively new. Has had about 500 rounds factory ball through it with the factory reccomended cleanings every 100 to 150 rounds. This is a Kimber Stainless Target II with a five inch barrel. All reloads tested here were identical with the exception of the lube. Bullet is the 105 Lee SWC sized to .358. Bore mics out at .356. All are water quenched and all were the same alloy, wheel weights. All were loaded with 4.3 gr W231 and CCI 500 primers. Brass was mixed headstamps. The only variable between the batches was the lube. The first batch with the Felix lube showed NO LEADING whatsoever. The second batch lubed tumble fashioon with a generous application of JPW left some very minor leading. The third batch tumble lubed with Lee liquid alox seemed to want to remove the leading left by the JPW batch when I ran out of ammo to continue. Each batch was about 75 rounds and all batches delivered about the same accuracy, that being very good. Hope this is of interest to some and helps others.

Sprue
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
About a year and a go when I switched from using LLA to Felix my leading issues disappeared, regardless of pistol caliber.

Recluse
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
I worry more about accuracy than I do leading.

What range were you shooting at, and were you shooting handheld or off a rest?

By the way, I like that 105SWC boolit. I've put it in front of some AA#2 with decent results in a 9mm. But I really like it for powder puff loads in .38 Special.

:coffee:

tomf52
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
With leading, goes accuracy. I was shooting at the Archbald PA state gamelands range. Shot offhand.