PDA

View Full Version : T/C Scout

twotoescharlie
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
got the scout,looks as new, nice and clean inside and out. downloaded manual from T/C website. Does anyone know why the breech--frame is ported. no mention what it for in the manual. if for no reason, I will make or have made a new nipple- breechplug to eliminate the holes.

I have been shooting sidelocks for over 50 years and this is unorthodox to me.
got to be a reason for it, but it seems no one knows.

TTC

scb
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
I believe they are to vent back pressure. If they weren't there the only path would be right back in your face. While a side lock is close to your face as well, the nipple isn't pointed right at your eyes. I've shot mine for years as it is and the only thing I find "objectionable" about the vents is the extra cleaning required. It's really not a big deal.

fixit
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
i have a scout pistol, and from the best i can figure it, the venting is a pressure relief concept, kind of like an extreme application of the hot shot nipple idea! i've heard that some have had ignition problems with scouts, but for my weapon, the only time ive had a problem was when i used 777. (its a .54, for any curious!)

03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Holes in the breech are to moderate pressure at firing. Gives a nice consistant ignition. I wouldn't go messing with them. They bothered me at first, too, as for some reason I thought it should be a closed system. Not so. Shoot it for awhile. You'll like it just the way it is.

twotoescharlie
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
thanks everyone, that's what I needed to know. just didn't seem right from an old fellers view.

TTC