PDA

View Full Version : Home made draw dies

elk hunter
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Here are some pictures of my home made jacket drawing dies. They are used to make tubing jackets for the .375, .416 and .458. I generally use air hardening steel for dies and S-7 or O-1 for punches. the punches should be softer than the dies. The shoulder on the punch pushes on the end of the tubing to force it through the die. The fit of the punch to the tubing must be such that the tubing can move through the die as it will get thicker or longer depending on the fit. A tight fitting punch and die will draw the tubing longer and thinner but requires a lot more pressure.

I use a two ton arbor press. The large piece with the cut out of it is the die body holder.

Hope this is interesting and helpful.

BT Sniper
03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Awesome Work!

I may be in the process of this very thing in the months to come for some .338 and .308 bullets. What style copper tubing do you recamend and were should I get some?

Your details, ideas and tools pictured ary just terrific! Will look foward to talking and seeing more of your work. You keep posting info of this quality I'm going to have to buy a tank of gas and drive up there to see your operation.

Great job and perfect pics,

Brian

P.S. can we see a pic of the dies in your arbor press to get an idea of what it looks like all put together?

revolver junkie
03-17-2009, 12:04 AM
very nice i had considered using an arbor press for making swaged boolits but $ is a real problem for me right now

Mtman314
03-17-2009, 07:25 AM
This is a wanna do area for me

TylerR
03-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Have you considered making dies for other people? Cause I would be interested in buying some.

elk hunter
03-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Brian,

I use plain old copper water pipe. I bought the last bunch from the local scrap yard several years ago. You're welcome to come take a look at my shop and I'll show or explaine what little I know about dies and such, please don't let your expectations exceed reality, I'm just a guy that doesn't know he that can't do something, so I try and sometimes succeed sometimes not.

Revolver Junkie,

Most arbor presses don't develop enough pressure to swage bullets. I use mine to draw jackets and press fit things. A true swaging press develops a great deal more pressure.

TylerR,

I used to make dies and sell them, but got out of the business many years ago. About eight years ago I had a guy talk me into making him a set of 22 caliber dies after seeing a set I made for someone else, and I still have them. He thought they were too expensive at $225.00, so no I don't make them to sell.

JFriis
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Brian,

I use plain old copper water pipe. I bought the last bunch from the local scrap yard several years ago. You're welcome to come take a look at my shop and I'll show or explaine what little I know about dies and such, please don't let your expectations exceed reality, I'm just a guy that doesn't know he that can't do something, so I try and sometimes succeed sometimes not.

Revolver Junkie,

Most arbor presses don't develop enough pressure to swage bullets. I use mine to draw jackets and press fit things. A true swaging press develops a great deal more pressure.

TylerR,

I used to make dies and sell them, but got out of the business many years ago. About eight years ago I had a guy talk me into making him a set of 22 caliber dies after seeing a set I made for someone else, and I still have them. He thought they were too expensive at $225.00, so no I don't make them to sell.

Want to sell them now?
Need details on 'em but I would even be willing to pay a little extra for inflation.

BT Sniper
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Elk Hunter,

I just enjoy seeing the tools one makes for themself rather than buying factory. I have no high expectations as I'm aware it isn't the cost of the machines or the size of the shop that determines the quality of the work and your work looks great. Look foward to your future posts.

I also have tried selling items I make for a hobby. Seems the quickest way to runnin a perfectly good hobby and turn it into a job.

Good shooting,

Brian

ETG
03-23-2009, 12:25 AM
This is probably a REAL stupid question. I see your drawing dies but to me it sure looks like it should be called a pushing die. Is this terminology just used to confuse people or is there some kind of logic to it?

7of7
03-23-2009, 08:41 AM
This is probably a REAL stupid question. I see your drawing dies but to me it sure looks like it should be called a pushing die. Is this terminology just used to confuse people or is there some kind of logic to it?

It is more to do with the material. You are drawing it, or pulling it through the die with the punch,.. once the tip of the punch passes through the die, the material is pulled through it, thus, drawn...

ETG
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Alright - that makes sense.

Red River Rick
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
The drawing operation also reduces the wall thickness. The dies pictured in the post are nothing more than sizing dies, they are just reducing the OD of the tubing and "Drawing" anything.

RRR