PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the 41 Mag

dk17hmr
03-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Offered one in trade for a couple of shotguns I dont really want anymore.

Its a Ruger BlackHawk, 6 1/2" barrel?.

I dont have any brass or dies for it so I would need to find those and at least 1 Keith mold for it plus a sizer die.

Does it have anything over my 357?

jh45gun
03-16-2009, 02:30 AM
What kind of shotguns and what are they worth? A used Ruger single action is not worth a whole lot compared to some shotguns depending on what they are though all guns have taken a jump in price these days. To be honest I would ask to shoot the Ruger before doing any trades. It has been my expirience some Ruger Single actions are Gems (mostly the older ones) but some have been just the oposite not very accurate shooters. If they will not let you try out the Ruger first I would be hesitant to trade. I would also find out what your shotguns are worth and what a used Ruger SA is worth.

missionary5155
03-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Good morning
I have numerous Ruger 41īs up in Illinois. They are all individuals. Most are OK shooters. With some work (equalise the cylinder diameters) they become good shooters. But like all Rugers.. if it is used check it over like any other used revolver.
Power wise... a .41 is FAR BETTER than .358 and VERY close to .430 (read the so called 44 Mag) . I have a 265 grain mold and my 41īs have no trouble launching that . I think I still have a 170 grain so I can down load to mouse power if desired.
That is the 41 Mag in the short version.

GLynn41
03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Very close to the .430 --I like that -- I have nothing but .41s and two are wildcats-- I have had a number of Bhawks and have one now----my 4 5/8 will shoot a 305gr at 1220--5.5 RHawk will shoot 170 at 1500+ 220 K will go 1400 +easy-- 210 Golddot =1390--

dk17hmr
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
My shotguns are a Stevens 311 12 gauge and a Chuck Daly 12 gauge, nothing fancy. The Stevens is worth about $250-275 the Chuck Daly is about worth about $225.
This is what was offered, he said he would included some ammo but didnt say how much.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Classifieds/Guns/_915238814.aspx

If that is the going rate for a Ruger BlackHawk 41 Magnum I would be on top, I paid a total of $360 for these two shotguns.

mtgrs737
03-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Sounds to me like your scatter guns are worth $500 total, the ruger is not. But it is up to you. I like the 41mag, they are plenty powerful enough, but I own mostly 44's because they are more common with reloading supplies more available. There is only .019" difference in the bullet diameter.

Big Boomer
03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
DK17HMR ... Some years back when they first came out, I had a pair of Ruger Redhawks in .41 & .44 Mag., both with same length barrells (5 1/2") & stainless steel. They were identical in appearance & virtually identical in performance, bullet weight and selection lacking with the .41 compared to the .44. As MTGRS737 noted, there is not much separating the two calibers. The .41 is a .41caliber. I liked them both, though I own neither now. Anyhoo, an old friend and I cast from the same alloy on the same day both .41 & .44 bullets, as close to the same weight as possible, put on gas checks & lubed the bullets, loaded the ammo (heavy and light loads) then fired both revolvers into sections of seasoned oak wood he had cut for firewood that had not been split. After firing the hardcast bullets into the sections of oak, we split the wood to see which penetrated the greatest, the .41 or the .44. We assumed the .44 would penetrate greater. There was essentially no difference, though the .41, having a smaller diameter, seemed to penetrate the oak a little easier than the .44. I do not see that .019 difference makes that much difference in a caliber that size, though some .44 afficianados may feel differently. Too, that was just our test in that one medium, seasoned oak. There are other, better mediums in which to conduct such tests, I'm sure. For practical hunting purposes, game shot with either caliber would probably not know the difference. Just one opinion. 'Tuck

runfiverun
03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
if it is in good shape and he lets you shoot it and you want it trade away.
41's are pretty fun.
i like to down load mine for rabbits and such.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I've been using the .41 Magnum since '75. I've had several from 4" to 7.5" barrels. I traded off the N frame S&Ws simply because I've a small hand and they hurt with magnum loads. My current .41 is a Ruger Bisley with 7.5" barrel and I love it. I've a Burris FastFire red dot sight on it, small and very accurate to use. It is my main big game hunting revolver. I use light 170 and 210 gr bullets over Bullseye for plinking and small game loads and the RCBS 210 gr SWC for heavier cast loads. I actually use the 210 gr XTP for serious hunting as I push it at 1450 fps out of the Ruger.

Power and recoil are there but it is much more manageable than a .44 for most shooters. Many who can't accurately shoot the .44 can accurately shoot a .41, especially in a single action revolver. Most who own .44s can't really shoot them very well unless reduced loads are used anyways. If I want more than the .41 then I'll use one of my .44s but for most of my big game hunting the .41 does very, very well.

Larry Gibson

Dan Cash
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
I inherited a Smith M57 6" nickel from my cousin. It has become my daily piece of work. LBT 250 gr. bullet over suitable quantity of 2400 does all one could ask. To me, the .44 mag hurts, regardless whose revolver. The gun writers did not get enough payoff to support the caliber so it died but what a shame.

A .41 could be a good trade for your shotguns but I sure would not trade for the Ruger you are looking at.

Throwback
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I have shot the Smiths and the Rugers in pretty much all barrel lengths. I have all three calibers, .357, .41, and .44. The .44 is the easiest to load for as it seems to be accurate with just about anything reasonable. As many people point out bullet selection is the downside of the .41. The .41 does kick notably heavier than the .357 in the Blackhawk.

All that said, I love the caliber. I have not found one bit of diference in effectiveness on game between the .41 and the .44. They are very effective. I have the old Lyman 220 grain mould and tomorrow or the next day should recieve one of the group-buy 260-ish-grain Lee Gang moulds. The .41 is very accurate and powerful with the right loads. BTW I almost pulled the trigger on a deal for a Ruger .41 Magnum Redhawk 5-inch today but I still need to think about it. They also had a S&W Mountain Gun in the .41. It sucks not having enough money:)

targetshootr
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I like my old model 41 Blackhawk but it might be better on a midframe size gun (old 357, new 44 spl). Matter of fact, one is on the to-do list this year. Btw, I have a large frame 4 5/8" om 41 mag barrel and cylinder I plan to sell for someone who wants to do a simple barrel/cylinder conversion.

Heavy lead
03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I just recently got into 41's, main reason is two 657's I picked up (one new, one uses), I like them, but still would not trade for them a good 45. Now IMO I would say a used BH (I do like BH's and have several) is probably only worth the trade of one of the shotguns plus maybe a hundred bucks. I would only trade both for a Redhawk (love to find one in a 41), SBH Hunter, or Bisley or a 57 or 657. I do want to get a single action 41, but I'm looking for one that is beat a bit or a cheap one as I'm looking for a project gun I can put a new model flatop grip on (I just hate that aluminum grip). If you get it let me know, I've got a fine NEI 411220 Keith mould I'll send you some boolits out of to try, won't sell the mould but IMO it's the best 41 mould out there for just general shooting and it'll wack these Michigan whitetails hard, as good as any 44, the meplat is actually wider than a 429421.

7br
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I use the rcbs 41-215 for my Dan Wesson. I also have a 230 gr lfn gas check. Both of them are a hoot to shoot, but the 215 gets more work cause its cheaper. I have seen a couple of the rcbs moulds bounce around on the board. Price is less than 200 of the jacketed stuff

dk17hmr
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I dont think I am going to get it. 41Mag just isnt popular enough for me (read that as range brass), and I think he wants to believe he has something rare because of the price.

I have the 357 than right to 45 caliber so something in between would be nice thats why I asked, but judging by the price of factory ammo its not brass I am going to be picking up at the range.

jh45gun
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Good thing because with your two shotguns he would have gotten the best of you in a trade. Lots of folks are interesting in them Stevens Doubles

No Ruger Black Hawk is worth 475 used! Unless it would be one of the really old ones that came in a presentation case with the low serial numbers.