PDA

View Full Version : Lee tumble lube molds?

okiecruffler
02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Okay, so I'm looking for my first mold and I want something cheap just to play with at first and I see these Lee tumble lube molds that supposedly you don't have to size. Sounds good since that would take one step out and allow me to just cast for abit. But I figured I'd ask the guys who know. Are these any good? Remember, I'm not looking for matchgrade, just some plinkers to play with and learn a little.

Buckshot
02-06-2006, 04:35 AM
.................Since TL rifle slugs are limited to one choice I suppose then you're interested in peestols?

First, it really doesn't HAVE to be a TL design to use the stuff. Most all my 38 Special stuff is TL'd regardless of the boolit's design. With the right load, alloy and size the TL'd slugs will good a good 1000 fps.

So far as the Lee TL boolit designs not needing to be sized, well that's the same as any other cast boolit. So long as the slug drops of sufficient OD to exceed the groove, but isn't so large as to keep you from chambering a round then no, they do not need to be sized.

A Lee mould IS a good place to start, as the price is low and they're light and easy to get casting. Flush it with carb cleaner or some other solvent/cleaning agent. Lube per directions, and smoke the cavity with the flame from a butane lighter and you're ready to go.

I like to float the mould on top of the ally until the lead isn't sticking to it and then commence casting. The sprue will take some time to set up at first and the slugs will have a distinctive crystaline surface. The blocks will eventually cool to match your alloy temp and casting speed.

.....................Buckshot

okiecruffler
02-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Sounds good, and yes, thought I'd start with either 357 or 45acp since I shoot them more and not for accuracy. Do have a few rifles I might give a try to eventually.

redneckdan
02-06-2006, 02:25 PM
i bought a 230gr TC for 45 acp. The first mold casted bullets so out of round that they wouldn't chamber. I sent the mold back to LEE and it came back and worked fine, only .0006 out of round.

mag_01
02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
:lovebooli I have had good luck with the 125 gr. 9 mm boolit--use it in 9 mm 38 special and 357 mag.---good accuracy---comes out of mold about 357 or 358--I have a (plus P plus) load that is a tack driver in 38 spec. with that boolit---If u have a problem Lee will take care of it..

David R
02-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a 38 cal and 45 cal both tumble lube 6 cavity for sale or trade. no handles.

David

Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings
02-09-2006, 11:13 PM
David,
What bullet weight/style moulds do you have for sale?
I may be interested
Thanks!