PDA

View Full Version : H & R .32 mag. alive & well

Newtire
02-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Just to report & thanks for the advice to try this & that & check this and that. Well, it turns out that my H & R 586 likes the RCBS 98 gr. made out of wheelweights and just as they drop from the mould at .315", which just fits the cylinder mouth(s). Was really happy to finally get it to shoot. Seated the bullets out to just shy of the end of the cylinder and upped the charge to 4.7 gr. AA-#5. Likes the softer, bigger bullet. Now thinking I might be keeping it!

9.3X62AL
02-06-2006, 01:26 AM
I've had excellent accuracy from just about every boolit/bullet I've ever tried in the 32 Magnum, ranging from 80-100 grains in weight. The 115-120 grainers aren't quite so obliging, but I started getting some decent work with the MM 115 grainer when I really kicked it in the a-- with enough 2400 to get it's attention. I won't post the weight--it was extrapolated from the 98 grain data. The RCBS 98 SWC is the S&W's best boolit, and a more recently acquired Lyman #313631 is about as good. 4.0 x Unique REALLY did well with #313631.

I now have 200 pieces of Starline brass to refill from Tuesday's engagement at Inland F&G.

Dale53
02-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I just got my .314 x 120 "Group Buy" bullet mould and made my first run with it. Nice looking "boolits" and measure .315, with my alloy, from the mould. Lookin' good. However, I have not found any loading data regarding the heavier bullets (120grs).

Any help here will be appreciated. I might mention that I have three "pistols" for this cartridge:
S&W "J" frame kit gun; S&W Model 16, full underlug 6"; and a TC barrel (JDJ Custom with the correct dimensions). I know each of these pieces have differing strengths and will load them accordingly. I have plenty of Starline brass.

Dale53

Dutch4122
02-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Just curious if any of you have experience with the 6 shot Ruger Sp-101 in .32 H&R Magnum.

Was looking at them on the Ruger website; 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights. Looks like it could make a decent plinker and small game gun.

What do you .32 Mag. afficionados (sp?) think?

The_Baron
02-17-2006, 11:51 PM
I own a 3 inch SP101 for the same reasons. Have not worked with it yet. All of my other 32 mags shoot. I think they must be magic or something.

Johnch
02-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I have a 6" Smith and a TC barrel ( .308 bore)
32 H&R , I refuse to call it a Mag

I mainly use a Lee 90 gr TL bullet in both .
But the TC barrel realy shines for small game if I load the Lee GC C309-113-F at about 1500 fps

Johnch

Johnch
02-18-2006, 12:28 AM
I have to ask .
I Had some heavy loads listed for the 32 H&R using 150 - 180 gr cast in TC's .308 bore barrels using AA1680 .
I can't find it .
It was for IHMSA standing class

Anyone have it ?

I would like to try it .

Johnch

Dale53
02-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Dutch4122;
I think that the Ruger SP101 would make a fine "woods walker" as well as a fun gun to shoot. I have tended to be prejudiced towards revolvers that have a minimum barrel lengh of 4". However, a number of years ago, S&W came out with a 3" Chiefs Special with full underlug barrel and adjustable sights in .38 Special. I bought one and was really surprised at how good the lil' Darlin' could be shot. Using hollow base wadcutters at target velocity, I was able to shoot 95 or 96 regularly on the NRA 25 yard timed fire target (at 25 yards). A few times I have been able to clean it. Now, no self respecting NRA Bullseye Master Competitor is going to awed by that, but I was quite pleased with myself :smile:. So, there is absolutely no reason that the Ruger 4" in .32 H&R should be a disappointment.

In my .32 I have used the Lee Wadcutters as well as Hornady HB wadcutters with excellent results as well as the RCBS 98 gr SWC. However, I really want to try the .32 H&R out with my new group mould (.314x120). So, if any of you fellers who bought that mould have any data it would be nice.

Wonder what "Quick Load" has to say about that bullet with H110, W296, or WC 820 (or, anything else, for that matter)?

Dale53

Bret4207
02-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Wasn't there quiet a bit of talk about Lil' Gun in the 32's? I know it's the cats for the 32-20.

Dutch4122
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Just bumped into a Marlin 1894 Ltd in .32 H&R Magnum today at one of my local gun shops. Couldn't resist. She's now in layaway. Just gotta figure out a way to scrape up the funds to get her out!

Dale53
02-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Matt;
I have to say that I am a bit envious...

I have a TC Contender Carbine (without barrel) that I bought with the idea of maybe getting a .32 mag barrel. However, after I did a little research, I find that the TC "Custom" barrels are not much appreciated. Custom barrels (Good Ones)run pretty expensive. I wouldn't doubt that I could buy a "real" gun for the kind of money that a custom barrel for the TC costs. I still kind of like the idea, maybe I can "sneak up on it" and break down and buy one, anyway :razz: I would really like a "woods rambler rifle" and .32 mag should work well. It would be kind of an American Rook Rifle.

Dale53

Scrounger
02-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Dale, there are two sides to that "Contender barrels don't shoot good'" thing. I've been very happy with mine, but then I'm not anal. As long as they shoot better than I do, no problem. And I don't put much credit in groups shot with a typewriter or keyboard. Another factor to consider is that a lot of people can't shoot very well. I'd bet most of us at one time or another have bought rifles that didn't shoot good according to the ex-owner, that we made shoot pretty dang good groups. If I wanted a .32 Magnum H&R Carbine barrel, I wouldn't hesitate to order it. If you're not happy after shooting it, there's always EBAY. There's a whole bunch of people out there who will give you probably nearly as much as you paid for it. They lack the patience to order it and wait. That's been my experience anyway.

Dutch4122
02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
.......... I would really like a "woods rambler rifle" and .32 mag should work well.........

Dale53

Dale-

My exact reasons for wanting the .32 Mag carbine (20 inch bbl). Now I just gotta get the cash together. :)........And find a way to get my hands on that Ruger SP-101 .32 Mag 4 inch with adjustable sights as a companion piece!

Dale53
02-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Scrounger;
I have had pretty good luck with the TC barrels in the past. I have pared my collection down some. I have a .22 Match, .221 Fireball, .30 Carbine and they all shoot good. However, I have owned a couple that had WAY DEEP chambers in them and I don't like that at all. I have a JDJ .32 H&R Magnum that is NICE, and a JDJ in .375 JDJ that also shoots extremely well (that's a definite ball buster in a handgun). I would like to have a comparable quality barrel in the carbine. I expect to be able to shoot the carbine better than I do a pistol so my expectations would be pretty high.

The people that have complained to me about lack of quality in TC's are competitive shooters. They, one and all can shoot well. Your point is well taken, however.

Dale53

Dale53
03-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Well, I did it. I ordered a .32 H&R Magnum 22" carbine barrel from J.D. Jones of SSK Industries. It'll take six to eight weeks for delivery. It costs a good bit more than a TC barrel would but it will be the correct barrel size (.312") and I expect it to shoot a heck of a lot better.

When I get it up an running, I'll let the Forum know what happened.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
03-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Those little Marlin leverguns in 32 H&R look pretty inviting......I've barely begun work with the 1894CCL in 32-20, I think I'll stick with that and leave the 32 H&R ammo for the S&W.

BruceB
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Just a couple days back, I was "hangin' " at one of our local emporiums and saw a fixed-sight "Heritage" brand single action in .32 H&R. It looked pretty good, the action was rather nice, and the price was about $225.

Struck me as a pretty neat little gun for the trail and field. I know nothing about the quality or longevity of Heritage guns, but this one seemed nice for the amount of money involved.

The .32 Maggie is far from dead, it would seem.

Dr. A
03-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Two loads that have worked well for me in both the Ruger revolver (single six), and the marlin 32 H&R and that Lee 120gr. gang mold bullet.

7 or 8gr. of Lil Gun,

4.5gr. of Hi-Skor-800.

That last one works just as well in both.

The Lil Gun 7gr. dose is preferred by the rifle, and the 8gr. is preferred in the revolver. Both work in both. Also had good luck with Unique (4gr). HS-6, Longshot, Titegroup worked, but are further down the list as to efficiency and accuracy.

9.3X62AL
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Bruce, the 32 Mag is far from dead--and with John in being reluctant to call it a "Magnum".

I've had at least one example in this caliber since 1985, and it has become my favorite small game and varmint revolver caliber. The current platform is a Model 16-4 x 6", and it may be the most accurate revolver I've ever owned. I think the Ruger SP-101 and Single-Six are a perfect size for this caliber, as would be the D-frame Colt (keep dreamin'.....). The Smith K-frame is really a little larger than it needs to be, and the J-frame a little too small--although the Kit Gun variants in this caliber are highly prized.

Bret4207
03-03-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm for calling it the 32 Special.

Newtire
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Two loads that have worked well for me in both the Ruger revolver (single six), and the marlin 32 H&R and that Lee 120gr. gang mold bullet.

7 or 8gr. of Lil Gun,

4.5gr. of Hi-Skor-800.

That last one works just as well in both.

The Lil Gun 7gr. dose is preferred by the rifle, and the 8gr. is preferred in the revolver. Both work in both. Also had good luck with Unique (4gr). HS-6, Longshot, Titegroup worked, but are further down the list as to efficiency and accuracy.
Hi Dr. A,
Just curious what kind of charge of HS-6? I have an RCBS 32-98 SWC to work with and am going to try Unique and others. I had good luck with the 800-X also with 5.0gr. and the 98 gr bullet. I'm in agreement with it not being anything close to a Magnum. I would call it the .32 Serious.

Dale53
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm certainly not going to change anyone's mind. However, if the .357 Magnum is a "Magnum" .38 special, then the .32 H&R Magnum should be a "Magnum" .32 s&W Long. The S&W long will drive a 100 grain bullet at about 800 fps and the .32 H&R Magnum will drive that same bullet 1200 fps. All of this at the low SAAMI pressure of 20,000 psi. If you consider that most of the revolvers now chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum can easily handle 30,000 psi day in and day out without problems (Ruger Single Six, S&W J Frame and S&W K frame plus the TC Contender) then you might want to go along with the original and correct name ".32 H&R Magnum".

Is it a magnum in the same breath as the .44 magnum, of course not. However, I do admit that I really like Newtires name of ".32 Serious". LOL :razz:

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!

Dale53

Larry Gibson
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Well, I did it. I ordered a .32 H&R Magnum 22" carbine barrel from J.D. Jones of SSK Industries. It'll take six to eight weeks for delivery. It costs a good bit more than a TC barrel would but it will be the correct barrel size (.312") and I expect it to shoot a heck of a lot better.

When I get it up an running, I'll let the Forum know what happened.

Dale53

Dale

I'm very interested in such a TC carbine barrel. I could never get a straight answer out of TC as to the bore size or twist of the carbine barrel. I've a 10" barrel with but prefer a .312" barrel with a 1-16" twist for the carbine. Could you either post the cost or PM me? Hope that's not gauche but I've a BD coming up and I need to plant the "seed" in the wife's head. Thanks

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
03-04-2006, 07:39 PM
I find the .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R both to be very good "trail guns". Besides the TC I have an original Ruger SS with 6 1/2" barrel in .32 H&R and a sweet little S&W M30 with 3" barrel in .32 S&WL. I normally use the lee 314-90-SWC-TL in both. With 3 gr of Bullseye in the Ruger they run 1003 fps and in the M30 with 2.7 gr Bullseye they run 872 fps. Both are very accurate loads. However the magnum loads I use in the Ruger .32 H&R are the Lyman 311316 118 gr GC bullet over 10.5 gr of H110 for 1175 fps and Lyman's 313631 105 gr GC SWC (designed especially for the .32 H&R) over 6 gr of Unique which runs 1351 fps. Both those loads will put two cylinders, 12 shots, into 1 1/2" at 25 yards over sand bags.

Larry Gibson

Dale53
03-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Larry;
I ordered the Carbine barrel (22") from J.D. Jones at SSK Industries:
http://www.sskindustries.com/

It has "correct" barrel dimensions (.312") but I can't tell you the twist.

TC's barrel is .308" which I do not like. Further, TC's chambering leaves LOTS to be desired. So, for me it is worth it to pay the extra for a proper barrel with good chambering. The J.D. Jones barrel will cost me $407.68 delivered.

Incidentally, thanks for the load information in your revolvers. I have the "J" frame S&W with 4" barrel, the S&W 16-4 with 6" barrel and a J.D. Jones Contender barrel (10").

Dale53

C A Plater
03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
I just got a new Uberti SA in .32 H&R and .32-20 combo. About half the time my "instant" background check comes back "delayed" and this was one. That means I can't shoot it for a few more days but it seems like nicely made revolver. I like the 3/4 scale and should make a fine trail gun. I need to get a set if dies and have some Starline brass on the way. This thread has given me lots of good load data to help me work up my own. Thanks guys.

Bret4207
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
I take back my 32 special moniker. Dales right and I forgot we already have a 32 Speacial, ala Winchester.

9.3X62AL
03-24-2006, 10:19 AM
OK, I'll go along with the "32 Magnum" moniker.......good point on the velocity upgrade justifying the nomenclature. "32 Serious" was a good one, though. :-)

By whatever name, it does good business on small game and varmints.

tommyn
03-24-2006, 02:00 PM
I just got a OTT 32 mag with .312 bore Contender barrel. I have some 94, 100 and 115 gr cast bullets and looking for some load data. I also have a Ruger birdshead 32 and use 10 gr of lil gun and 100 gr cast bullets but the tender doesn't care for that load at all.

StarMetal
03-24-2006, 03:19 PM
My 32 mags are 30 Lugers....they will run bullets as fast or even faster then a 32 mag. Sorry...just had to stick that in here.

Oh..for those that want to really pump the 32 mag up then my semi-auto counterpart that will beat that is the 7.62x25 Tokarev...this truely is a mag.

Joe

Dale53
03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I received my SSK barrel from J.D. Jones (one and the same) today. I was quoted 6-8 weeks on delivery and it was received 3 weeks after I ordered it. Now, how is that for service? Good show, J.D.

Of course, the forend will not fit (I knew that in advance) so I am calling around locally to see if anyone has one. No... The local dealers are forever complaining about people that mail order but when you try to buy something from them, they don't have it. Rant over.

I can hardly wait to shoot this. I'll keep the forum posted.

Dale53

KTN
03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I donĀ“t have any experience with .32 mag,but .32 S&W long is my favourite revolter for basic practice and for teaching new shooters basic shooting skills.
If shooting is that much more fun with .32 mag,it must be close to being illegal ;).
I must get myself one.:-D

Kaj

9.3X62AL
03-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Kaj--

Dittoes galore for your comments on the 32 S&W Long, it is an unalloyed delight for paper targets and small game. The 32 Magnum extends its range half again or more, and is easily as accurate as its precursor caliber.

Joe--

You gotta try one of your 30 Lugers with a 9mm recoil spring in place. I've done this in the Ruger P-89C, and got to 1500 FPS with a "rated-X" weight of AA-7 and Hornady 90 grain XTP's. Also--have you seen the data in the new Hornady Manual for the 7.62 x 25 and this same bullet? HIJO LA, 1700 FPS!

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Deputy Al,

My 1911 has a 9mm spring in it. I don't know where I'd get 9mm spring for the Benelli, and the Browning Hi Power also has a 9mm spring in it. I might be able to get one for the Luger but it's pretty stiff as is. The 1911 would be the platform for blistering loads as it's the heaviest slide/barrel of the four. It barely functions with my plinking loads, but the thing is still tight though. I can run 1300 fps without even trying or blinking an eye....easy.

Joe

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Deputy Al,

You may find these sites interesting as all you other 7.62x25 owners and shooters.

Joe

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/bad.htm

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/tokarev/

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-8565.html

tommyn
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I have shot my OTT 32 mag and am pleased. Its a .312 bore from a douglas blank. 3.5 gr unique and 94 gr cast shoots one hole at 25 yds. Haven't shot over chrono yet but its a very mild load and shoots to same POI as a full house 90 gr Sierra jacket bullet load. 45Nut helped me with the cast bullet load.

Dale53
04-02-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm glad to hear that we have ANOTHER .32 H&R Magnum devotee in our midst. Keep us informed on results and I'll try to do the same.

I am going to hang a big 8x32x44mm Simmons scope on my TC Carbine and try it at 50 and 100 yards in the next couple of days. We'll see what it does with good optics. This carbine is almost perfect in the context of "A Modern American Rook Rifle" but is not really user friendly off the bags. Since it is a "tip up" you have to lose your position every shot. Further, the little bitty forend doesn't help much. In these cases you just have to adapt. After all, this is a light "woods rambler" kind of rifle and neither I nor anyone else should expect benchrest quality groups.

However, I do expect somewhat better than a Contender pistol as you DO have a bit more control with a rifle than a pistol off the bench. Another positive is I will have a high power scope (compared to the typical pistol scope). So, with all of those disclaimers, we will see.

I am shooting for (pun intended) 3/8" at 25 yards, 3/4" at fifty yards, and 1 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards. All with the carbine. I may get my TC Contender SSK 10" barreled .32 mag out of mothballs, also. Oh-h-h, I can see a good day at the range coming up.

After the trial period, I will probably go with a ".22 Magnum" model Simmons scope. It is rather small, has an adjustable objective (critical with these relatively short range rifles just like a .22 rimfire). This should be a better fit for a small, light rifle. As I may have mentioned before, I would go with iron sights but have vision problems that makes that undesirable. So, a scope it will be.

Dale53

tommyn
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
I believe your contender pistol barrel will shoot as well if not better than the carbine. I'm very happy shooting pistol barrels at the range and watching the rifle boys shake their heads when we go get targets. Contender carbines are hard for me to shoot accurate and find the pistol barrels easier. I hope to get out this next week and shoot the OTT 32 mag step barrel again. I tried to post pictures of it and couldn't. The cast bullets are 5 shot groups around .3 at 25 yds using 94 gr bullets and unique powder. Thanks 45 nut.

JSH
04-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Tommy, I have been using 3.5 gr of Bullseye behind a Lyman 311410 in the 30-20. It isn't dropping big enough to work for you or I would send you some. Weighs right at 120 and measures .310+.
I extrapolated the above from some 38 special loads with a bullet weight that was pretty close. I am using this in a BF and it works very well out to 100 yards. I forget what it clocked at, between 800-950 fps I think, 8 3/8" barrel btw. The 32-20 is my favorite round to play with. I just about bought an old Savage bolt action, tube magazine rifle chambered in 32-20 years ago. I still kick myself.
I am interested to see what the carbine barrel does for the TC mentioned above. I myself would prefer a 308 over the 312 as there is a bigger bullet selection.
I was all hot to buy one of the Ruger Buckeye's 32 mag and 32-20 cylinder when they first came out. Located one here locally. I was gathering up the funds and one of the guys I ran around with then snatched it up. I think he shot up every 32 rimmed caliber in town. He is now my GF's nephew, lol, I still try to buy it from him every chance I get.
One of the fellows that I shoot with uses the 32 mag and CB's, I will ask him about some load info. He is a shy chap and has been known to come here on certain occasions, but I don't think he has ever posted............................... YO Gary. Step up here man!
Jeff

Dale53
04-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Jeff;
You apparently missed the thread on "Cast Boolits" section (thread name is ".32 Magnum with 120 gr bullet"). It's a report of my first outing.

Weather permitting (we're currently under a Tornado Watch) I'll get out to the range in a couple of days with a good target scope on the rifle and shoot some more. I'll report further.

Dale53

JSH
04-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Dale, thanks for the heads up. I saw the topic line and I had been shooting up to a 200 grain bullet in the 30-20. I had not even looked at it, that will teach me huh.
I will have to finish reading this PM as I need to get off to work. I read the first couple of post and looks very interesting.
Jeff

Jon K
04-04-2006, 04:36 PM
johnch/dale53,

I have some data you might like for the 32 H&R mag. I shot it mostly for NRA Hunters pistol and IHMSA Field Pistol. I also shot it for Full Size Silhoutte in the mid 80s when Rams were full set. You could follow me down the lie- by the failed cases laying on the ground.
I have data for T/C .308 bore, Merrill(aka XL) .308 bore, jdj .312 bore and Dan Wesson 8 inch .312 bore. I think I can say I have shot the .32 a lot. PM me as some of the loads need to be approached with caution and condition & fit of the gun.

Deputy Al,

You got lucky finding that brass, congratulations. I have been a member of Inland F/G since 1983 and never found 1 piece of 32 brass being thrown or given away.

Good Luck and Have Fun Shooting,
Jon:Fire: :castmine:

9.3X62AL
04-05-2006, 12:17 AM
Jon K--

I didn't "find" that brass laying around at Inland or anywhere else--it was bought new from Midway some months back, and is on its third loading now. Like you, I have never found a 32 Magnum case laying around, and I don't recall finding any 32 SWL, either. Users is keepers with these critters.

StarMetal
04-05-2006, 12:20 AM
I've never found 32 mag brass either, but I have found 32 SWL. Another one I've never found is 45 LC.

Joe

Dale53
04-06-2006, 10:53 AM
StarMetal;
When I first got bit by the .32 mag bug, I bought the Ruger Single Six. I went to buy brass and discovered that Federal had JUST stopped selling components to handloaders (they lost me as a customer for anything at that point). I checked with a friendly commercial reloader and he had, literally, a barrel of .32 S&W L brass. He let me take a barrel (small barrel) home with me and sort out several thousand empties. These were once fired and I sorted by brand name. Then, I took the balance back and paid him for what I took.

The original Federal .32 H&R brass was really bad. Everytime I would load a box up (had bought some factory ammo[smilie=b:). I would lose several cases due to side splits. Just flat bad brass. So, for several years, I just loaded the S&W L cases (and with perfect satisfaction, I might add). Since I was really only interested in target loads (also made fine small game loads) the Long was not a deterrent.

Of course, when Starline started making cases for the .32 mag I bought a couple of thousand and shared half with a shooting buddy. In fact, I ordered them before Starline was actually shipping them. They gave me a target date and by George they actually made the date. Good people and good brass.

Dale53

StarMetal
04-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Dale,

I'm sorry now that I didn't buy one of those Ruger Single Sixes in 32 caliber. Now they want alot of money for them. You know when I had my 22 Single Six I also owned my Walther PP in 32acp. I thought looking at the Ruger one day it could be chambered out in a 32 acp. This was before Ruger come out with it in 32mag, but I'm not saying I had the idea before them. I'm sure alot of others did too. Also kick myself in the butt for selling that 22 Single Six, original 3 screw with the adjustable sights. Bought it for $69 when I got out of Navy bootcamp.

Joe

Dale53
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
StarMetal;
I have always been an S&W fan. When they came out with the .32 Mag "Kit Gun" (stainless, 4" "J" frame with adjustable sights) I immediately bought one. A little later, they came out with the S&W 16-4 (full underlug "K" frame - might say a modern K-32) in .32 H&R Magnum I bought one of them, also. My Single Six .32 had a 4 5/8's barrel. My buddy had a 6 1/2" barrel. I could shoot the short gun nearly as well as I could his long barrel but there was NO denying that it was easier to score with the long barrel (both had adjustable sights). After I got the two Smiths a friend talked my out of my Ruger. Then he almost immediately had it stolen from him. I still have the kit gun and the 16-4 as you are aware (the way I keep rattling on about them:mrgreen: ).

Fact is, I just LOVE to discuss revolvers, whether it is a single action .45 Colt or the latest "tricked out" S&W or Colt dbl action.

Dale53