PDA

View Full Version : advice on shooting j-frames

rrc870
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
My natural hold when shooting a snub nose gets the side of my thumb shredded by the cylinder latch edges . I have no problem with larger revolvers or autos . I have average size hands and wondered if anyone had encountered this and might have some advice on the best way to grip the snubby to avoid the problem

FN in MT
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Larger grips. You didn't mention if your J frame is a square or round butt frame configuration. If a round the Pachmayer compact grips work well. If a square S&W used to make a set of larger grips possibly J Targets? But they are expensive.

All kinds of J frame grips out there...just try a few.

FN in MT

EMC45
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I have come to call this "J Frame Thumb" I get cheese grated every time!

TDC
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
If your 60 is an early round butt .38 with wooden frame sized grips I recognize your pain.... If it's a later 60 .357mag with frame sized wood grips firing hot .357 loads I would equate it to trying to handle a S&W 50 with hot loads. It's punishing to try to control!! I own both....

Good advice from FN in MT on the Pachmayr's (or Hogues would be another good choice). They make all the difference with control and comfort with this little gun. Buy the "Gripper" style Pachmayr's as they have finger groves yet are small enough to provide good concealability.. They work for me.....

mtgrs737
03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I have seen where folks will file off the sharp edges of the latch to keep this from happening. The older guns had a different latch that was not sharp on the edges, but they may of not made them in stainless. I would just file/sand the sharpness down, you can always buy a new latch if you decide to sell it.

rrc870
03-16-2009, 06:43 AM
I have a mod 36 and a mod49 . One is r butt and one is square . Both bite me . I am pretty sure the rubber grips would solve the problem but wanted to see what others experience was . Thanks guys .

imashooter2
03-16-2009, 07:12 AM
The solution is simple... don't use your natural hold. Move your thumb.

HABCAN
03-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Thumb is SUPPOSED to be butterly-light on TOP of the latch for any DA revolver where it won't get stubbed by the cylinder shield. A curled-down thumb will induce a sideways twist affecting POI. My .02.

rrc870
03-17-2009, 06:44 AM
imashooter , I am taking your advice and will work on retraining the thumb .