PDA

View Full Version : Paper on or off?

mrbill2
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Does the paper stay on or does it fall off the bullet when it leaves the barrel. I' ve been thinking about giving PPB a try in the 308. They'll be more questions I'm sure. Thanks in advance !!
Mr. Bill2 :-D

docone31
03-15-2009, 08:20 PM
You gonna like the results of paper patching the .308. I patch all my .30s.
In answer to your question,
The paper is gone as the boolitt leaves the barrel. Confetti is there in a 360* circle relative to the rifleing lands.
The accuracy is better with jacketeds with all my loads.
I highly reccomend, the Lee 180gn .30 mold, .308 Push Thru sizer, and .309 push thru sizer.
I size my castings to be patched to .308. I use dish soap as lube and wash it off.
I cut my patches 1" X 2 3/16" with 45* on each end. I also use a cigarette roller to roll the patches. I use 8 X 11 printer paper for patch material.
I use starting loads for jacketeds with my patches. I have found no need to go further.
There is a difference between smokeless patching, and black powder patching.
You try the method I suggest. I bet you go no further with .308, well possibly heavier. It seems the heavier, the better.

pdawg_shooter
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
The paper MUST fall of at the muzzle. If not the sliced paper will destabilize the bullet and you will have NO accuracy.

mrbill2
03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd like to use some bullets that I already have to give this a try. RCBS 30-180-FN and a Lyman 311467. With paper that measures .004 what size should the bullets be sized to before the paper is added. The finished bullet will have to be sized .309 with the paper. Thats the only size the throat of my rifle will chamber (with cast bullets). Do I use my regular Saeco lube and sizer to size with the paper?
Mr. Bill2

docone31
03-16-2009, 08:15 PM
No lube on the paper sizeing. Just a little auto wax to make it slippery.
When I do the .30s, and it sounds like you have a good mold to start, I size the casting to .308, then two wraps of lined notebook, or printer paper. When dry, snip off the tails, leaving just a little of the twist over the base. Lightly dab some auto wax, or JPW, and size to .309.
I had my doubts the first time I sized my paper patches, but, it goes real well.
When I size my castings to .308, I use dish soap, then rinse off when I am done.

pdawg_shooter
03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I lube with BAC, but most anything will do. I have even tried lard and tallow like the old timers used and they work fine. I smear a little lube on the patch by hand and run it through a push through die to remove the excess. This also seams to iron on the patch. You will find it is hard to remove a patch if you try. The rifling slices the patch in the bore so it comes off at the muzzle.

docone31
03-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I have noticed that ironing effect also.
Too much lube and it seems to "loosen" the patch. Too little, and it just sizes.

mrbill2
03-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks fellows. I'm going to work at this in the next week or two.
Mr. Bill2