PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs a3 press?

pelallito
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello,
I am new to this forum and perhaps I am posting in the wrong place. If so please move this.
I have an RCBS A3 press and would like to know if it would work well for swaging? After reading some things here, I think that it would need a solid ram, if it can handle the pressure.
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred

Pressman
03-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Frd, the A3 is a big, strong press with some "different" features. Firsst, it is made of cast iron as opposed to cast steel of teh older A models. Second is the odd thread size. It uses the smae thread as the Rockchucker. 1-1/4-12 tpi. Most large format swaging dies are 1-1/4-18 tpi.
The A3 is not a common press, it was on the market just over a year before being discontinued.
That being said, if you are using 7/8-14 tpi swaging dies it will do everything any other bench mounted reoading press will do, except it will do it better.

Ken

pelallito
03-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Ken,
Thank you for the reply. I did not know that it had had been made for such a short time. I need to do some more reading here. It is a great forum.
Regards,
Fred

Lead pot
03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I have the A-4 Big Max I use for case forming, one tough press.
You can also modify the toggle linkage with a little drill press work to shorten up the linkage for swaging so you don't have to screw the die of and down for peek pressure.

pelallito
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Lead pot,
I am not sure that I fully understood what you told me. I am a Noobie here. I need to shorten the center to center distance of the holes in the linkage. Would it be better to replace the factory original with other pieces of steel with the different hole pattern? I will take a closer look at the linkage to get a better idea about this. Peak pressure being when the ram is almost all the way up?
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred

Lead pot
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
pelallito,

That would be fine it you have the tooling to make the cam or make a sand cast and pour a new cam.
On the A4 I can move the ram 1" closer in to shorten the stroke and increase the leverage almost equal to Corbin swage press.
It's sort of like trying to pick up 50 pounds with your arm fully extended compared to having your elbow against your side and lifting that 50 pound weight,

pelallito
03-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Lead pot,
I obviously need to look at the machine to understand what we are talking about. Sorry about my confusion, but I will look into it. If I had to I might be able to cast something, but I am unsure about what is needed for a new cam.
I really want to learn how to improve this press, and learn more about all of this!
Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Fred

Lead pot
03-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Here maybe it's easier to visualize this.
Open this link and go down to where the parts lay out is.
Look at part #12, that is the cam or toggle block that holds the ram, where pin #11 goes through it has room enough that you can drill a new hole and move the ram in farther to increase the leverage.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/BigMax_Instructions.pdf

pelallito
03-17-2009, 06:02 AM
I see what you are talking about. Thank you for the link and explanation. I did not understand you before. I will look at my press today and see if I can do that.
Regards,
Fred

Lead pot
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
The A-3 does not have the toggle block that the A-4 has I looked that up when I looked for the parts lay out. The A-3 is more like a Rock Chucker, sorry I thought they were the same except that they had the body at a 45 degree angle.

pelallito
03-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Leadpot,
The body, if I remember right, can be in two positions. Vertical and the 45 you mentioned. Thanks for looking for me. I have not had a chance to do anything with it the last few days. I am trying to make a simple rimfire die to make jackets. It worked, but version two will be better.
Fred

Lead pot
03-19-2009, 11:58 AM
The honing is the tough part for me:-D

pelallito
03-19-2009, 06:04 PM
It's going to be the hard part for me too!!

Pressman
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Lead Pot, the A4 is a completely different press and not related to the earlier A models. It is called an A4 because someone in marketing thought it was a good idea.
Ken

Lead pot
03-21-2009, 10:03 PM
Pressman.
I use the A-4 Big Max just for case forming anymore.
It is a good press but it is not very handy for loading for a few reasons from the front of the press is makes it a little awkward when you sit off to the side so you can work the handle and changing to seat primers but it is workable and you will never spring it even with the double handle when your swaging hand gun bullets.
And if you need to you can modify the press for a short power stroke for swaging so you dont need to screw the die up and down to keep it at the top power stroke.
You cant do this with any of the other RCBS single station presses like the A-3 or rock chucker.