PDA

View Full Version : want to build a new gun.

Beekeeper
03-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't even know if it is feasible or within cost efectiveness but thought I would ask and see .
I was wondering if it would be possible to make a lever action 40S&W cal rifle?
Could you start with something like a Marlin model 94 and rebarrel it?
Have never built one before as I'm mostly a milsurp type but thought it might work.

Will accept all comments pro or con so don't be afraid to lay it on if you think it's not worth it.

Main reason for even thinking about it is I hate the EBR concept and the only thing I can find anywhere are EBR's

beekeeper

hornsurgeon
03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
what are ebr's

nicholst55
03-15-2009, 07:35 PM
what are ebr's

Evil Black Rifles.

Heavy lead
03-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Not me, I'd love to have a EBR in 44-40 or a 38-40.
That'd be a twist:twisted:

lathesmith
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Why re-invent the wheel if you don't have to? A 38-40 lever gun is a ballistic twin of the 40 S&W, and has been a tried and true lever action favorite for over 120 years.
lathesmith

Beekeeper
03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
because I have a lifetime supply of 40S&W brass and a 40S&W automatic.

beekeeper

oldhickory
03-16-2009, 05:37 AM
To each his own, I don't see why not. You should be able to get the barrel contoured, bored, rifled, threaded, and chambered easy enough, the problem will be getting it to feed and eject the .40 S&W, I would suggest starting with a .32WCF...

Bret4207
03-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Enhanced Battle Rifle- EBR, or so say the mall ninjas on the various "survivalists" sites.

BruceB
03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Or, try "Evil Black Rifle"....I've heard that one, too.

Pepe Ray
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Beekeeper;
I understand your wishes completely'
Ever since I read of a similar conversion (45ACP) in the Am. Rifleman, back in the "80's. I've hungered for a .45 ACP version. Ed Harris ,a regular contributor for the Cast Bullet Assn's Fouling Shot, has had 3 of them made up over the years.
Whether or not it's "worth the price" is subjective. But it's certainly doable as long as you use a Marlin "94. The Rossi M92's will not feed a rimless ctg.
Accept for dimensions, the projects are the same.
Good luck with yours.
Pepe Ray

KCSO
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Mech Teck rifles are just the ticket, not levers but not real black either, and if you have a 1911 or G\lock you can use the frame!

Firebricker
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
If you can find a good gunsmith and cash to make it happen sure its worth it if thats what your after. Who knows you may start a trend. F.B.

KCSO
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
You are going to need a 38-40 barrel to start with and they ain't cheap, starting at 150 bucks and up. Then you are going to have to modify the carrier and the extractor. The biggest problem is changing an action made for rimmed ctgs. to a rimless design. What are the cgt guides in a 92 94 going to grab? The lever I think would be most likely to work would be a 73 action and there you are looking at $600 or better for a gun too start with. Then you have the problem of shoooting a high pressure round in a low pressure action as the 40 smith is 34000 and the 73 was made for 18000.

It can be done but I would guess that if you can't do it yourself you are looking at more monney than a new gun would cost.

jhrosier
03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
If I was going to try this, which I'm not, I would start with an SKS action and try to find a mgazine that would present the cartridge at the correct angle. The bolt face is already close enough to work. I would not bother with the gas tube at all. It might make a handy straight pull bolt action.
The cons are the initial cost of the action and its' size.
There are literally millions of SKSs floating around the USA and you might be able to find a beater fer cheap if you are patient.

The cheapest alternative would probably be a custom barrel for a TC Contender.
If you could find a used .357 bull barrel and get it rebored it might be a reasonble place to start.

Jack

Pepe Ray
03-16-2009, 08:39 PM
BeeKeeper;
In spite of the well intended assistance, This is NOT a ground breaking idea.
1. The Marlin action is the one that requires the least work.
2. Because of it's kinship to the M336 (35 Remington a rimless ctg.) it has a leg up in the adaptation.
3. Also, it's been done.
If you have access to the Cast Bullet Assn. website you'll find a thread with ongoing discussion of the .45ACP version.
I havn't given up hope yet, nor should you.
Pepe Ray

oldhickory
03-17-2009, 04:45 AM
You know, while I'm thinking of it, Merz antique firearms not long ago, (maybe still) had an 1892 Winchester owned by John Wayne's son converted to .45ACP. The discription said it didn't feed, work, extract, something, but the ad indicated it probably wouldn't take much to make it functional...(I don't know about that).

Pepe Ray has a good point with the Marlins, like I said before though, I would start out with a new M94 in .32WCF or .357 simply because it's easier to remove a little metal than add it...And make friends with a good machinist.