PDA

View Full Version : Patched round balls in a shotgun

Nobade
03-15-2009, 02:34 PM
The guys over on Nitro Express got me thinking about this, so I tried it yesterday.

I didn't have any shotgun primers or wads, so I cut the ends off some Winchester birdshot loads, cut the petals off the wads, and seated .715 round balls cast from wheel weights in the cases, patched with ticking cloth. (I have a 12 bore muzzleloading rifle and use the same balls and patches in it.) Before firing any, I tried the ball/patch combo in the muzzle of my 870, with its 18 inch cylinder bore police barrel, and it is a firm thumb press so no worries.

I first shot some at 50 yards at a 12 inch steel gong, and had no problem hitting a 4 inch circle painted in the middle. Then I backed up to 100 yards, and once I figured out where to hold could hit the gong every time.

This is the first time I have tried anything but shot in that gun, and I was amazed at the accuracy I was seeing with these loads. I can't imagine regular slugs would group as well and these were way cheaper. I'm hooked, I think I'll put a ramp on this barrel so I can get a decent sight picture (They were hitting 2 feet high at 50 yards with the factory bead - I had to aim at a rock way under my gong to hit it)

Has anybody else tried this? It sure does work well. Next I'm going to get some primers and wads to see if I can come up with something that is at least as fast as my muzzle loader. These were pretty anemic speed wise, but still pack some serious punch on the target.

missionary5155
03-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Greetings
RB in 12 guage is a great tool to have available. RB will out penetrate standard slugs in all situations. If you have a .69 - .68 RB mold you can just dump the shot and not have to cut the petals. I have a .685 that works nicely with most the Winchester wads.
I have an 18" cylinder barrel here and soldered a german silver ramp on the barrel. It is about 1/4" tall and the height gives me POI at 50 yards... which is all I expect as far as real hunting accuracy. You can get RB up to 1600fps. Blue Dot seems to be the better powder for FAST. Stay away from Unique much over 1450fps as it can do some erratic things rapidly.
Research this forum and you will find there has been alot of RB shooting done.