PDA

View Full Version : Dillon rifle caliber question

ddeaton
03-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Anyone loading rifle caliber on a Dillon 650. I guess I just bought one used on here and am wondering if it is a pain in the butt? I am currently running a 650 with 45acp and love it. I just cant see the time savings when you have to lube the cases. I am asking this because I might just get the dies for 357 or 45LC and keep it for my pistol calibers. It would be nice to load 223 for the AR's though.

mike in co
03-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone loading rifle caliber on a Dillon 650. I guess I just bought one used on here and am wondering if it is a pain in the butt? I am currently running a 650 with 45acp and love it. I just cant see the time savings when you have to lube the cases. I am asking this because I might just get the dies for 357 or 45LC and keep it for my pistol calibers. It would be nice to load 223 for the AR's though.

me thinks the answer is a quick tumble when done to remove the lube, or hand wipe....corn cob with some polish or lite load of solvent...500 plus in a lot in the big dillon...5-10 min

mike in co

ddeaton
03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks Mike, I was talking to a local friend and he also said the same. I think I better give it a try.

clodhopper
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
I resize on a single stage press,clean, trim the lenght and ream the primer pockets, then with universal decap die in station #1 to clear the flashole, load with the 650.
Great help in keeping up with the appitite of a M-1 and AR.

garandsrus
03-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I especially like the 650 with a case feeder when I size .223's. I size in a separate operation so that I can trim after sizing. With the case feeder running, I just need to pull the handle for each case. No need to handle the cases, rotate the shell plate, remove the case, etc. It's really quick!

I also tumble the brass to remove the case lube. After trimming, I load them with a different tool head on the 650.

The shell plate for the 45 ACP is the same one you would use for 30-06, 7.5x55, 308, 243, 25-06, 6.5x55, etc. :)

Here's a cool piece of software (http://www.nfatoys.com/dillon/) to help keep track of the conversion kits and what can be used for multiple calibers.

John

ddeaton
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I like what both you guys say. Good tips, thanks. I havent loaded any rifle since last fall and running all this through my peebrain, I totaly forgot about trimming. I have been in the pistol casting and reloading mode all winter. Sizing and trimming seperate is what I do anyway. Ok you have talked me into it. :drinks: I downloaded the software and will check it out later, thanks.

jmorris
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
I use a 650 to size and trim. Tired of dealing with crimped primer pockets I use a 1050 for the rest of the process. It still takes two handle pulls for every round but it's the fastest why I can come up with to make quality ammo. http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=1050.flv

Doc Highwall
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I bought a extra die head and only put the sizer die in it. After sizing the cases I wash the cases with water and dish detergent, and throw them in the tumbler. I use the Dillon case lube which is alcohol and lanolin. When I am ready to reload I leave the first station empty.

ddeaton
03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I bought a extra die head and only put the sizer die in it. After sizing the cases I wash the cases with water and dish detergent, and throw them in the tumbler. I use the Dillon case lube which is alcohol and lanolin. When I am ready to reload I leave the first station empty.

I take it you remove the primer cam on the first size and deprime step so no primers are fed?

Russ in WY
03-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Well 1st let Me say I don't have a 650, but do have 2-550's. I use Lee collet dies [No Lube needed] . Trim to min length & you won't have to worry about case length for several firings. Makes reloading a lot simpler. My 2¢. Russ.

garandsrus
03-16-2009, 11:13 PM
ddeaton,

I just leave the primer feed empty... I don't remove anything.

John

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
ddeaton,

I just leave the primer feed empty... I don't remove anything.

John

If you have a primer tube with any amount of primers left over inside, it will need to be emptied, or disabled?

ddeaton
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Well 1st let Me say I don't have a 650, but do have 2-550's. I use Lee collet dies [No Lube needed] . Trim to min length & you won't have to worry about case length for several firings. Makes reloading a lot simpler. My 2¢. Russ.

That would work for fired cases from the same rifle you are loading for. If you are loading used once fired brass from someone else, then you need to full length size. The only use loading large quantities would be for my gas guns anyway. I will still load for my bolts on single stage and weigh charges.

rockrat
03-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I use liquid lanolin and alcohol (90%+) in about an 8/1 ratio alcohol/lanolin. Spray on with spray bottle. Run thru press with size die and use trimmer die setup also. Take the case and spray with alcohol with a parts washer gun to cleand and then deburr. Take the plastic part off the press , so primers won't feed. Bought an old 1000 so will use it now and just load pistol on the 650.

BruceB
03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
My Dillon is a 550, but my rifle rounds are loaded PROGRESSIVELY, just as the machine was designed to do.

Having just recently started loading with the RCBS X-die for 7.62 NATO, the routine for this cartridge is simplified. All the cases are trimmed to a consistent length after (gauge-adjusted) full-length resizing. For the first loading after getting them ready for the X-die routine, they are run through the complete cycle from empty-case to loaded round.

For the second and subsequent loadings with the X-die, the cases go from the range to the tumbler, and from there they are loaded progressively in the normal fashion. The X-die basically eliminates concerns about varying case lengths.

In calibers for which I don't have an X-die (yet), I do a periodic check on case length before starting the loading session. After that, it's progressive all the way.

If loading CAST bullets progressively on the 550 (most of my 7.62 NATO), I put an expander die of some sort in the #3 position. This requires me to reach through the press frame (I'm a lefty) to place a bullet on the casemouth for seating at #4. Not a problem.

Buying a progressive machine means buying production capability. Personal tests have demonstrated to *my* satisfaction that pocket-cleaning is a waste of time, so far as both accuracy and primer seating are concerned. To perform parts of the loading sequence off the machine, such as sizing, or in separate stages ON the press, is a waste of *my* time. I view such methods as hand-cuffing the machine, for which I paid a good price to obtain the progressive capability.

Some of the tumbled brass may well have flash-holes plugged with polishing media...the decapping pin ensures clear flash-holes.

Doc Highwall
03-17-2009, 05:17 PM
ddeaton, I leave the primer tube empty like Grandsrus.