PDA

View Full Version : My Latest 44 bullet projects

BT Sniper
03-15-2009, 03:46 AM
Been busy attempting to perfect new designs, all from a 40S&W case. Some of my latest is a 290 grain flat point. 250 grain hollow point with jacket extending to top of bullet. A round point forming insert for my die to round the tip of the bullet alittle more. Finally the one that has been a challenge is a 225 and 250 grain copper plated, bonded hollow point with plastic tip insert for better expansion.

Got alittle more design work with the plastic tip bullet but very close to perfected.

Also been experimenting with duel core ideas. As in a hard wheel weight core with a soft lead tip. Included pic of the 350 grain lead bullet formed in my .429 die. Know someone who is perfecting copper plating in fairly thick layers. Idea is to plate the duel lead core and form a 400ish grain bullet for the 45-70.

Notice the copper color of the plastic tipped bullets. This was the result from the flux and pickeling of the brass afterwords (cover in the pickeling brass thread). Pictured the 225 next to a 240 hornady xtp and the 250 next to the 290 for compare.

Haven't been able to do any shooting latly as all time has been spent in shop working on these bullets but I am excited to try the plastic tip bonded bullet.

1950Target
03-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Fascinating. Please tell us more ASAP about plated .45-70 that is VERY interesting. I load .45-70 for everything from trapdoor to RUGER No.1.

I've always thought a plated soft bullet about 400 grs would be ideal for the trapdooe which I LOVE to hunt HOGS with!

BT Sniper
03-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Sure will. The .458 project is just getting started. I'm not even the one with the plating tools as I'm tring to help this guy with some ideas. Apparently he has had some success plating bullets up a full caliber .223 up to .243 etc. I'll see what we come up with and let you know.

BT Sniper
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Made some bullets for anouther shooter took a picture thought I would show you guys.

docone31
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
The plateing effect, is not from the flux.
I am a jeweler. That copper plateing is the dane of jewelery repair. I cannot tell you how many times I have ruined my pickle and had to replace it.
For what you are doing, it is simple to duplicate what we jewelers hate.
Sodium BiSulphate, either Pool PH Reducer, or Sparex pickle, will turn into a plateing solution by the simple addition of anything ferrous into the solution. It is a permanent plateing.
To duplicate this effect, heat up the Crock Pot, toss in the brass to pickle and plate. Let it sit for a tad, then put something ferrous into the solution. Stainless Steel will not do this. It needs to be iron.
I have mistakenly contaminated my pickle by picking up a ring, or something else hot, and transferring it to my pickle pot, touch the solution with my steel tweezers. A simple way to convert the pickle would be to use a steel screwdriver to stir the materials being pickled.
The plateing can be polished off, but it takes definate effort.
To speed up annealing pickleing, if a solution of either Borax, or Boric Acid is a first dip, then annealed, the pickleing takes less time with little firescale.
Just a comment from the Peanut Gallery here. I really like the boolitts you made. Excellent work. Excellent.
Adding ferrous to a solution of sodium bisulphate makes a good copper plate.

BOOM BOOM
07-29-2010, 04:29 PM
HI,
Found this thread but no pictures, RATS. MORE PLEASE.

BT Sniper
07-29-2010, 06:55 PM
I have all the pics in the back of the computer files somewhere :) what would you like to see?

BT

BT Sniper
07-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Here is a link to my photobucket account. Lots of my projects are pictured there. Maybe not these exact ones as posted above but it should give you an idea of what is possible.

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/

BOOM BOOM
07-30-2010, 02:45 PM
HI,
OOOH YEAH![smilie=w:
GOD MAY HAVE FORGIVEN ME OF MY EVIL PAST!
THANK YOU.
:bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-02-2010, 10:44 AM
BT,
is there a Load data thread for the 44 bullet ?
since there is on for the 40, maybe there should be one for the 44.
Jon

buck1
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
I dont hardly ever give any as not all 44s are not created equal. Start low and climb slow.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I dont hardly ever give any as not all 44s are not created equal. Start low and climb slow.
Buck, I guess that's true, I just assumed the majority of the .429 BTBJHP would be a medium heavy (250 to 260 gr.) and being shot in a revolver with a barrel length 3" to 7". If that statement is typical, that isn't too wide of a spectrum.
Jon

buck1
08-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I would tend to disagree , some are not even steel.
I would class, casulls, Rugers and BFRs in one catagory and the rest in another not as strong catagory. That said...

mine run about 257gr. depending on core mold /brass. Start out with 265 gr data and work up slowly. I was able to work up to my 240 gr cast load in wc 820 without pressure sighns. But I noticed a heavier recoil. I find them to be straight foward loading with out suprise and not picky.
These were out of a Ruger Redhawk, much stronger built than a lot of them even the Blackhawk. Just my $.02 ...Hope this helps a little...Buck

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Buck,
I now see your point.
Jon