PDA

View Full Version : Shell holder problem

Andrew
03-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Hi ya'll, I have a Lee Auto Prime that I have use a couple times now that seems to work really well. I found out the hard way that Lee makes a different set of shell holders for the Auto Prime, but that's cool with me now that I have it. The problem is that the #11(.45 long colt) I have isn't wanting to accept the Winchester brass that I have. It has primed a couple hundred Magtech brass now without a hitch. Well, to make a short story even shorter I measured the rim on a bunch of different cases and found out that the Magtechs were all in the .505-.506" range and the Winchesters were checking at .509-.510".

Is it advisable to smooth down the Winchester brass to the smaller size somehow or is the shellholder needing opened up? I'm not really sure which is actually the problem.

Gerry N.
03-15-2009, 03:56 AM
Hi ya'll, I have a Lee Auto Prime that I have use a couple times now that seems to work really well. I found out the hard way that Lee makes a different set of shell holders for the Auto Prime, but that's cool with me now that I have it. The problem is that the #11(.45 long colt) I have isn't wanting to accept the Winchester brass that I have. It has primed a couple hundred Magtech brass now without a hitch. Well, to make a short story even shorter I measured the rim on a bunch of different cases and found out that the Magtechs were all in the .505-.506" range and the Winchesters were checking at .509-.510".

Is it advisable to smooth down the Winchester brass to the smaller size somehow or is the shellholder needing opened up? I'm not really sure which is actually the problem.

I would contact LEE to find out what they suggest.

Gerry N.

Tom Myers
03-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Andrew,

SAMMI and CIP spec sheets both show the 45 Long Colt Cartridge as having a rim diameter of 0.512"

Tom Myers

azcoyhunter
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Sir,

I use a Lee # 14 shell holder for my 45LC.