PDA

View Full Version : Any Truth - Glock Barrels --

captain-03
03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
I own a lot more pistols than I really need and have been casting and reloading for 9mm, 40S&W, and 45ACP for many years. I recently purchased a couple Glocks (21 & 22) and have read that the Glock factory barrels do not like "lead" and are prone to severe leading when shooting cast bullets. I would like to know whether there is any truth to this!! I know that there any many of you out there who shoot Glocks!! Please give me your experiences with cast bullets in Glocks!! Thanks!!

shotman
03-15-2009, 01:43 AM
5000% true. If you are going to shoot lead get aftermarket barrel. Had buddy that had a 10mm first 3 shots were in a 3in at 25yds by end of mag they werent on a 10in plate. looked like silver hair hanging out of barrel. Low velosity may help rick

9.3X62AL
03-15-2009, 01:46 AM
Mmmmmph, mmmpphhh, mmmpphhh, I'm being stifled........

waksupi
03-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Mmmmmph, mmmpphhh, mmmpphhh, I'm being stifled........

Spit it out, Al! You are the guru on this subject!

NickSS
03-15-2009, 05:47 AM
I have a Glock 17 that I have shot a considerable amount of cast from without leading. I size the boolits to .356" and lube with 50-50 alox and beeswax. Mose loads use Red Dot powder. After several thousand rounds I still do not know about problems with Glock barrels.

dubber123
03-15-2009, 08:29 AM
There is a father and son that shoot Glock 40's at our range. After one of our shoots, I peeked down their bores to see the horrific leading I had read about. I was disappointed. Perfectly clean....

No_1
03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
There has been considerable discussion on this very subject. Check this thread started by 45nut: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855&highlight=glock

Robert

JW6108
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Robert is right, the thread is loaded with good info. But, since you asked, here's my .02.

Our agency issued G22's in 1995. At that time, it was not common knowledge as it is today that lead bullets could cause problems with Glock factory barrels. So, in my ignorance I loaded and fired 10K-12K commercially cast bullets and had no problems at all. What I was looking for was an economical practice load that would just function the action, so they were fairly light. From what I have gathered, the trouble seems to be from folks using maximum loads with lead bullets. Consensus is that the style of rifling in the factory barrels is conducive to lead buildup just forward of the chamber, which ultimately constricts the bore sufficiently to raise pressures to dangerous levels. Again, I haven't seen that myself since I have not loaded any lead bullets with that velocity level in mind; I can't answer for the experience of others.

I have recently started casting Lee 175 grain TC's for the .40 and I will probably purchase some commercially cast bullets of comparable weight as well. I still only want a mild practice load. BUT, just so I have one less thing to think about I did get a Storm Lake barrel for my G27 and plan to get another to be shared between the G22's. That's my choice; if I make a mistake, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

I guess that is clear as mud, but that is my take on it and how I work with it. Good luck with whatever you decide, and you will enjoy those Glocks. Elegance is not what comes to one's mind when looking at them, but they are tough shooting machines that give excellent service with very little needed in the way of maintenance. john

JMax
03-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a G22, G17 and G23 (40, 9mm,40) and shoot cast through them on a weekly basis. I have not seen anything but powder fouled bores for thousands of rounds. But my loads are on the mild side.

R.Clem
03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Loaded a box of 175gr from a Lyman 401638, these are for my Glock 20, with 7.5gr AA#5, (this is a very mild load, but shoots very well in my Glock). took them to the range this morning for testing, I should add, I use a home made lube. The first 10 rounds went into a group about an inch and a half. blasted the next thirty as fast as I could pull the trigger and change mags. The last ten rounds went into a spot about two inches in diameter.
Brought the gun home and started looking for lead in the barrel with my bore scope.
NONE, not even any streaks. The bullets are WW dropped on a towel and allowed to cool, sized to .401 and lubed. I have done similar tests with the same gun and bullets, different lube, all were commercially manufactured, those tests showed lead in the bore, both in light and heavy loadings.
I beleive the leading problems in Glocks and many other firearms shooting cast bullets, is due to the lube that is used.
Leading can happen a slow speed with a certain bullet, but won't at high speed with the same bullet. and vise versa, I have seen this happen and many others have too.
I will load another box of these bullets more on the top end and see what goes on there and post the results into this reply.

arcticbreeze
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
I know alot of people will not agree but i have probably shot 2000-3000 lead boolits in my stock Glock 23 barrel (the dreaded 40 cal kaboom maker) with out any problems. I also clean my guns every time I shoot them. However with that said, a Lone Wolf barrel is cheap enough ($100 or so) that I pick one up. Best thing I could have done because now with the tighter fully supported chamber I don't get that Glock bulge. I used to keep all my Glock brass seperate but now I don't have to.