PDA

View Full Version : 50 Beowulf

wildwilly
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Has anyone built a Mini-14 on this cartridge?

rockrat
03-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Not that I know of. I know Tony Rumore built a 458 Socom on the mini14 platform and swore it would be the only one he would build (missed buying it by 20 min.)

BD
03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Just asking, but why?
BD

wildwilly
03-21-2009, 02:02 AM
Interesting cartridge. Being a resident of the People's Demokratic Republic of Kalifornistan I am restricted from owning an AR-15 type weapon. My Mini-14, for now, is not restricted. The thought of converting it to a 50 caliber intrigues me.

StarMetal
03-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Interesting cartridge. Being a resident of the People's Demokratic Republic of Kalifornistan I am restricted from owning an AR-15 type weapon. My Mini-14, for now, is not restricted. The thought of converting it to a 50 caliber intrigues me.

Aren't you allowed to own an AR15 with a small capacity permanently attached magazine? I see DPMS makes an AR15 lower receiver that has no magazine well specifically for CA.

Joe

BD
03-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Well that would explain it. I'm putting together a .450 bushmaster in the peoples republic of NY.
For whatever reasons, NY allows "muzzle brakes" as long as they are "fixed", but not "flash suppressors", (part of the "no more than one of the following" rule in the NY AWB). So I'm having a smith bore out a brake and solder it on to make me legal. A bunch of BS for sure.
BD

Ugly Dwarf
03-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Wildwilly,

You said 'restricted', not 'banned' so you may know all this. If not, this may save you some headaches trying to build a "Mini-50" (an interesting concept to be sure).

AR-15 variants in CA do carry restrictions, but they can be had legally. Check out www.calguns.net and read up about "Off List Lowers" or the "OLL".

You can build it with a 10 round magazine combined with number of different mag locks (B16, Radlock, Bullet Button or Prince 50 - the Prince is open to debate right now on advisability), or you could build it without "Evil Features" (pistol grip, flash hider, etc...) and have drop free magazines. If you go without the pistol grip, you'll need to use a Monster Man grip or a U-15 stock - or get creative.

Obviously, in the current political climate, parts for AR's can be hard to find and expensive when found. .50 Beo (and other non-standard) parts will be tougher and pricier.

Good luck,

Dwarf

PS. If you sign up at CG.net, say howdy. I'm the U. D. over there too.

wildwilly
03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Your info is greatly appreciated, Dwarf.